Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am ready to re-install the exhaust.

Looking at the head of the bike I see what looks like the exhaust gaskets are still in there.

It is surprising because guy who owned it before me was ... not mechanically inclined.

He had put straight pipes hanging directly off the heads and no other support.

I want to make sure the copper colored stuff inside IS the old gasket before I try to pry it out.

I do not want two gaskets in there. I have never had luck getting two gaskets on top of each other to seal.

So here is the picture:

Thanks again for all the help guys.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
That's the gasket. It's a copper O-ring that crushes when the header is installed. Pop those old ones out and replace with new ones, have the headers exactly where you want them before torquing it down and they'll form fit a leak proof seal.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the gasket. It's a copper O-ring that crushes when the header is installed. Pop those old ones out and replace with new ones, have the headers exactly where you want them before torquing it down and they'll form fit a leak proof seal.

Excellent that is what I expected but I was surprised to see gaskets in there after the way everything else has been.

Thanks a lot!

I have got the new gaskets ready to go and everything.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add.There are some Exhaust manifold crush gaskets that are not Copper.Some are Steel/Alloy and asbestos centered.They don't seem to come up often but I have used them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CX500-Z...15?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item23057dc657

HTH

Thanks Shep,

Are they better or is it about the same?

I have never seen the steel/asbestos exhaust gaskets.

I discovered that the asbestos gaskets in the H box are going to have to be replaced so I am going to try the exhaust tape. Sounds like the least fuss of the bunch.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

I discovered that the asbestos gaskets in the H box are going to have to be replaced so I am going to try the exhaust tape. Sounds like the least fuss of the bunch.

Crush copper is the best, main disadvantage is they're more expensive and single use.

I used Tiger Paw brand muffler tape (or bandage as it's sometimes called) and it works fine. I found that the stuff does dry out if it's been on the shelf too long, so buy it from a parts source that has a decent stock turnover.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just get the originals from any Honda dealer, they're common and inexpensive.

18291-286-306

You can get them online as well for far less, try http://www.tasmotorsports.com/ and tell Matt that Marshall referred you, you'll get free shipping and possibly a discount as well. You pretty well call them as you'll get the best service.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Thanks Shep,

They are the same.They do the job

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Slobber on the anti-seize where any pipe join together and you won't have problems taking any of the exhaust apart in the future.

It will smoke and stink for about 50 miles, but you will be happy you did it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.