Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found a new ignition switch and it seems to be in decent condition. The issue I'm having is that there appears to be a bad connection somewhere, neither the headlight nor the tail light come on when in the ON position. The tail light comes on when in PARK but not the headlight. There was a moment when they were flickering when the bike was on so I'm guessing the vibrations of the bike were breaking and breaking the connection. Any ideas which wire may be the trouble maker? My guess is Brown or Brown and white but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine when I first rode it home. Got another used one from a forum member and it has the same problem. When I turn it to 'ON' the lights will flicker and then stay on, but if I move the key around inside of the 'ON' position the lights will flicker on and off.

I decided to just buy a new base. It is replaceable. Mine is on the way, but I am pretty sure it will fix the problem.

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...wer-electrical-part-of-the-ignition-keyswitch

Make sure you get one with 6 pins, not 5.

This is the one I bought - 1978 1979 80 1981 Honda CX500 CX500C CX500D Ignition Switch Contact Base | eBay

You're looking for OEM part number 35101-415-007.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, but I've been through 3 different bases now and always had the same issue...

·
Super Moderator
21,152 Posts
Do you have a light switch on the right bar and do the lights come on from that? If so, they won't just come on with the key switch like a US bike which has no light switch.

Maybe the front park light needs a new globe?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there's a switch on the right handle bar assembly which operates the lights but it's not turning them off or on and I doubt it's the problem. I got it new old stock. Even if the front parking light needs a new bulb that doesn't explain the rear not working.

·
Super Moderator
21,152 Posts
Download the factory service manual from here.

CXGL

Use the wiring diagram. Do you have a multi meter? Things like this usually don't take long to find but I doubt the key switches are at fault after you've had 3.

·
Registered
371 Posts
what bike is it? but I'm Guessing a CX?
but whichever, the brown wire is ok It goes to tail lamp directly from the battery when it Park.

If it's like the diagram I am looking at...when ignition is ON, the Br/W is switched to power the tail and gauge dial lamps through a fuse ...the headlamp circuit is independent of the Br/W and uses a different fuse.

The thing headlight and tailight have in common (key ON) is the keyswitch connecting Battery to Black wire, which powers both fuses...and much else. Does your neutral and oil pressure lamp come on?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Downloaded the manual and having a look now. The Haynes manual I bought when I first got the bike isn't very clear. It looks like it could be the green earth wire but I'll go multi meter check it and get back to you. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It a 1979 CX500, I think it's a Z model and the oil pressure and neutral come on but the high beam doesn't.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ah, well.
This might help...it is the 79 CX (custom and Deluxe) wiring diagram broken down as layers as in: Lights, ignition,starter etc highlightedn separately and can make interpreting the diagram easier by concentrating on the circuit you need and so you can follow the path of it all...at least that's the hope. The Honda logic is a little difficult around lighting but if you really look at the switches drawn you will see what I was saying...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KPMO1yGVgrcTkzcnlJZDVnUGM/view?usp=sharing
it's better downloaded.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just did this experiment and it works for me, but then it's hard to tell for others.....(report problems) you can also try this as pictures in " .png" from Picasa...but be sure to use "Options"(three verical dots) and "download" the ones you want...Using" Save AS" from the browser is not so good. They compress it nastily.

https://goo.gl/photos/61SGszFZhug8fghs7

Pictures are kind of better than pdf's on smartphones and tablets, I'm finding

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice, especially Trundler, all those diagrams helped. I eventually found the issue which was the Brown and black wire that connects to the Brown and white within the fuse box. The wire was broken internally, likely due to a bodge job by a previous owner. Cut it back by about 3 inches, stripped and reconnected it and boom no more issues.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad you got it and thanks for reporting back,Shane! so many threads trail off and the puzzle is unsolved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
HELP!!!! Hey guys I am new to this forum, I am having some issues rebuilding my 1980 CX500... I replaced the stator and the waterpump seal that is behind it, its been a few years since i have worked on it and am now getting back into it! When trying to start the bike it just wines when i have the rectifier plugged in, but when it is unplugged it is able to start and run off the battery alone. i have gotten a few used rectifiers at a local motorcycle junk yard but have not been able to get any of them to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
21,152 Posts
Test the three yellow charge wires from the stator. Run a continuity check between the pins. You want full continuity between each paired combination of pins. Then do a continuity check from the yellow wires to the negative battery terminal. You don't want to see continuity here. Then test continuity from the yellow wires to the wire showing as pin 9 in this diagram. Once again you don't want to see continuity here.

What do you mean by whines?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When i say that it whines, im saying that when i press the button to start the bike, instead of starting it just will repeatedly turn over and over without firing. It only does this when the rectifier is plugged in. I have replaced both stator and rectifier and i have a small collection of rectifiers now but it seems as if none are working.

·
Super Moderator
21,152 Posts
Perform the above tests. Bike is CDI?

Rectifiers on these are pretty bulletproof. I doubt if you'd have a few rectifiers/regulators with the same fault.

Your problem though does sound familiar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe it is.. i dont know too much about them im more of a dirtbike guru.. this is all new to me haha. but I have check the continuity on the stator and it was all good.. we also replaced the water pump mechanical seal that is behind the stator, and when we got it put back together and tried to turn it over with everything plugged in, it mad a weird noise like the mechanical seal was too tight?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts