Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha!

I've been riding my bikes to work lately. I have an 82 Honda GL-500 Interstate and a 95 Triumph Trophy 1200. I purchased the Triumph new in 95, and I purchased the Honda about 5 years ago. Both bikes are right up to snuff with maintenance and both are in great shape as you can see.

Oddly, all of my co-workers prefer the Honda. By far. They appreciate the Triumph. They like the fact that it was one of the first big Triumphs to begin the re-import process. They appreciate the brand and the design. But they were MUCH more impressed with my 82 Silverwing. By far. Most said they'd take the wing on a long tour over the Triumph. I appreciate that because I have ridden the Triumph between Ohio and Florida many times, and that "Sport-Tour" riding position gets old fast on the highway.

The Honda is much more comfortable. I've taken it from Ohio to Florida VIA Route 23 where it's 55 mph the entire way. It's a nice comfortable road trip. The Triumph I just put on the interstate and set the cruise on 70 mph and wait for my back to give out from the sport-tour riding position, and for my legs to cramp up from being tucked up under me. The Highway pegs on the Honda really are nice.

So which do YOU prefer? :D

-3Sport

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
190 Posts
I even got a compliment from a kid riding a bicycle. Cool bike he said. I'd go for the little wing for sure! Nice!

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,442 Posts
I wonder if people think Triumph was what Steve McQueen road?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
832 Posts
C'mon mate....not fair. This is a CX/GL forum.
You've had that Hinckley Triumph since new, so you know it's a bomb. All things being equal, not all bikes are equal for all purposes.
I love them both.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you, but I wanted to point out that my Honda gets more complements than my Triumph. And I thought that was odd since you'd think that more would be complementing the Triumph. Not so.

I have owned that Triumph since new, and honestly, it has been problematic. The coils are mounted above the engine and catch heat, thus failing regularly. I've had issues with electronics and vacuum on the bike as well, some of them stranding me hundreds of miles from home. I dislike chain drive, especially on a touring bike, preferring the Honda Shaft drive. And it's not comfortable for long rides. Yes it eats road better than the Honda with 1200 cc and 6 gears, but that riding position on the highway for hours at a time gets to your back and legs. And that Big Triumph only gets about 25 MPG. Heck, I get that in my car.

The Honda is much more comfortable, and fun to ride unless you want to challenge the twisties. When I rode the Dragon I did it on the Triumph, not the Honda. But when I want to do a nice easy tour, I actually prefer the Honda. The Honda has gotten me OFF the super highway and on to back roads. And I really enjoy that more these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.