Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Larry has my carbs, and they are gummed up with something. Turns out that my tank, and another that were both sealed at the same radiator shop, had this problem. Larry is having some trouble taking them apart even, has to get a new extractor since my jets are stuck so bad in there. He just rebuilt these carbs a year and a half ago.

So I drained all the gas out of my tank to check it, and there is a bunch of reddish white crud in the bottom of the bottle that I skim off of the top.

I guess this means I need to re-seal the tank.I was going to get the POR15 Heavy Duty cycle tank kit. Problem is that the tank was sealed b/c it was starting to leak, so I guess that even the sealing part will be a pain in the ass for me.

Luckily I still have my little 3 gallon custom tank, so if my carbs get back i an ride while I fix the tank. If it leaks bad, I guess I will be doing a lot of work on it.

So, I'm a little down, but what can you do, sometime things happen.

Mike

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Better contact whoever sealed it and report the problem. You're also going to need to know wjhat they used to seal it as what's left in there is going to need to be cleaned out before you seal it again with POR15. If you don't it will be like putting fresh paint directly over badly peeling paint - it will come off in time.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Leaks suck but my suggestion would be if possible to have someone skilled take the tank down to bare metal and find the leak. If it's that bad cut the tank open and sandblast everything till you can find the problem part. And then you can start over fresh. May sounds like it sucks but to me you don't seal a hole with crap already on it.

Maybe the stuff that the people used to seal it can be removed chemically and a leak down test can find the problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the contact number for the folks that sealed it and will call them tomorrow - pretty sure I can remove the stuff with acetone, and the POR15 kit comes with a stripper designed to remove prior seal coats.

I'm not even sure how to go about finding someone who could fix the tank, I think I will just do it myself. I have access to all the tools one might need, I'm just not sure what to even look up in the phone book to find someone who can even fix up a tank.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I know a man in california but he gets pretty busy.

If the stuff comes off with acetone it's something I wouldln't want in my system and that's probably why it's in your carbs.

A total clean would be in order and then I would probably get a quart of Por 15 to do the tank since it's bigger than the average bear.

Maybe even do your other tank at the same time but it would mean downtime for the bike.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
MEK is usually a bit better than acetone and pretty much the same price. Another Home Depot item.

It will dissolve most stuff they could have used for coating.

Remember that toluene probably won't touch it as gasoline contains some amount of toluene by nature, matter of fact that may be why some people are losing their coatings. The Premium gas I buy or my car is sometimes obviously rather toluene heavy, at other times it's xylene heavy. both are rather high octane and many racers add one &/or the other to regular pump gas to up the octane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.