Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
I hope you replaced the helmet after that face plant. From what the helmet industry tells us any impact (even dropping from a few inches when your head isn't in it) requires replacement or return to the factory for examination.

Re Nader and the Corvair: This is a prime example of why you should do all the research you can instead of trusting one potentially biased "expert".

BTW: I knew a couple of people that had Corvairs in the '70s and from what I could tell the biggest design issue with them was that the heater drew hot air from a duct around the outside of the exhaust manifolds and there was a gasket that often leaked and allowed oil to drip onto a manifold so when you turned the heater on the interior filled with smoke.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,457 Posts
VW bug had the same style heating system. The common failure there was the heat exchange rising out inside sheer you couldn't see it. The first indication of failure was exhaust odor in the car.

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
52 Posts
Got to say all good information as I need a new helmet and looking at modular only because I wear glasses and it is a PITA with a full face.

I have a Gforce full face with a larg opening I bought 17 years ago when I was drag racing cars and the rules looked at the cert & year made.
Also being it was made for a car like posted made for many hits in the same place, like roll bar to side is one.

Also as said if gear is not comfy you will not wear it and the full face I have is a little tight but I will not get on a bike with out a helmet and it is the law here in NC.

As for lace work books with steel toes that is what I have to wear for work so it is what I wear when riding. Sneakers dont give me enough support to up shift.
I have been know to go with a tee shirt and no gloves but long pants a must.

But after reading posts I am re-thinking my safety gear .... for the better
Thanks
Dave ----

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
What I actually said was that the Snell foundation started out testing helmets for car racers and their test is based on one big hit (like running off the track and into a wall). It's the DOT test that simulates your head bouncing on the pavement several times after you fall off.

Sneakers also make it hard to put the bike on the centre stand as you should when you fill the fuel tank and check the oil.
I wore steel toe boots at work too but I left them there and changed from my bike boots when I arrived. A couple of times I bought "wellington" style work boots that looked similar to my bike boots and when I had them I found I hadn't changed when I took them off at home a few times.

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
52 Posts
Little up date:
I bought a HJC 22-SI-PI-v2 modular helmet yesterday so have not used it yet, hope later for a little ride.
I ware glasses so a full face was out as the large opening one I have now is hard to get them on & off.
It is a lot easier with the open front.

I like the options of chin up or down and same for the clear shield and the smoked sun shield. I did not know they came with the sun shield so that was nice.

I cant see it being that noisy with the chin & clear shield down as the wind should just go around like a full face.

Because I was on a safety kick, not a bad thing, I also bought a Joe Rocket riding jacket with removable liners. Come summer it may be to hot even just the outer jacket but then again I may not go riding like this summer?

On the way home I got to thinking I should have looked at gloves but did not think of it at the time of dropping 6 bills!

Stay safe
Dave ----

41 - 45 of 45 Posts