Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading to a modular helmet. Being quite naive about the type, I’d say I would like to be able to put it on without removing my specs (like a 3/4 helmet), maybe be able to ride with it open (maybe just at lower speeds), and a clear window. An internal retractable sunscreen and ease of mounting a comm system too. I’m looking to hear from anyones personal preference based on actual usage. Medium price range (nope, my head isn’t worth $800 😁). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have an HJC IS-MAX II. It has been a great helmet for me at the middle-lower price range. It has the built in retractable tinted visor that is so handy I will not consider buying a helmet that doesn’t have one. It also has the pinlock and it works very good for me keeping the visor from fogging up on a cold rainy day. I had no problems installing a Sena in the helmet either. It is best to try different helmets as the shape of your head will be the deciding factor as to which brand is best for you.

·
Registered
GL650
454 Posts
They are inherently heavier and noisier than full-face helmets. 8 or 9 years ago I had an early HJC modular that I liked for the convenience and comfort, but it was too noisy inside to use any sort of sound system available back then (at least at a reasonable price).
I have a Bell Revolver Evo now that I like for around town because it's Hi-Vis Yellow and I do ride with the chin open sometimes (not recommended). But closed up tight the wind noise at all speeds is so loud inside I absolutely have to wear hearing protection.
I've read good things about the AGV K1 for the price.

·
Registered
1982 GL500
337 Posts
I wear a Nolan n100-5, and I’ve been pretty happy with it. It’s designed to be worn open or closed; there’s a switch that locks it. I’ve never ridden with it open, though. It’s also got the drop down sun shield that works pretty well. I do wish it had better ventilation, but I’ve never worn a helmet where that wasn’t the case

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have a Shoei neotec...all good but its at the $ upper end...
Shark/Nolan/HJC offer modulars...
For quietness you need one thatll fit your headshape and maybe offer replacement inner pads for custom fit...or wear earplugs...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. The noise issue had not occurred to me.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,950 Posts
I am very happy with my Gmax GM54S, the snowmobile version of the GM54 street helmet (the same except that it comes with a breath box, front & rear neck aprons and 2 layer shield). I also will never go back to a non modular type.
They no longer sell the GM54 but when the time comes I will look for another Gmax modular helmet to replace it. My summer helmet is also a Gmax and both of them fit better and are more comfortable than any helmets I've owned before.

The GM54 weighs about 10% more than the HJC CS-Air full helmet that it replaced but I didn't notice the difference but compared to the HJC the Gmax is much quieter, whether the chinbar is up or down, the shield is open or closed or with the sun shade down or just glasses.

The only issue I've had while wearing the modular helmet is that I tend to open it as soon as I pull into the garage and with the chinbar up it adds a few inches to my height and the doorways inside the garage are a bit lower than standard height so every year I hit the bottom of the chinbar a couple of times before I get used to ducking an inch when going through them ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The issue I've always run into with helmet fitting is that I normally wear a 3XL helmet and there's not often a lot of selection in that size. I was able to find the Bell SRT-Modular was a pretty good fit for me and has been working well so far. The build quality is quite good and it's lightweight. I don't have a good frame of reference for the noise level as I've almost always used modular helmets, but it seems to be similar to the last one I had.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use a Nolan N104 (NLA) which I only wear when I'm expecting to ride in the rain. I love the ease of putting the chin guard up and down at will. It has an internal sun visor and PIN. It has provision for their proprietary B4 or B5 communicator radio which I do use. Unless it's raining I ride with the chin guard open. I'm a bit claustrophobic and could never wear a full face helmet. Usually wear a 3/4 helmet in good weather.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,467 Posts
I'm a bit claustrophobic and could never wear a full face helmet. Usually wear a 3/4 helmet in good weather.
When I imagine my face sliding on the tarmac, I get a little agoraphobic.

• Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Super Moderator
18,950 Posts
Let's not get started on that. There are as many stories about people whose injuries were worse because of the chinbar as there are about people who were saved by it.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Let's not get started on that. There are as many stories about people whose injuries were worse because of the chinbar as there are about people who were saved by it.
Do you have any documentation or sources to back that claim up? I agree there have been some incidents where that’s true but not just as many. Sounds like the same argument many people tried to make about seat belts back in the 80’s. I was one of them, and I was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
18,950 Posts
I don't have any documentation off hand, just an accumulation of information from magazine articles &c over the last 37 years.

I'll also mention that safety gear can make you less safe by distracting you, annoying you (ever try to ignore a seam that is in just the wrong place?) or blocking your view.
Every full helmet I've owned has blocked my view of the switches on the fairing and at least one required me to tilt my head down to see the instruments, not a lot but enough that my eyes were off the road ahead longer than if I was wearing an open helmet. And all of the ones I had before the GM54 blocked my peripheral vision enough that I wasn't as aware of the exact locations of other vehicles around me in heavy traffic.
Which leads to another reason for recommending a modular helmet: When you get into a situation where the blocked view could endanger you you can open the modular helmet and see better.

And speaking of other safety gear, when I took the course to get my license we were required to wear boots that at least covered our ankles. Sneakers or dress shoes were forbidden because they just aren't strong enough if you put your foot down slightly early and we were told that shoe/boot laces on a motorcycle were a really bad idea because they can come undone and get tangled in moving parts so zipper or pull on boots were best.
Over the years I've seen a lot of people on bikes wearing full helmets and sneakers, almost as if they think they don't need to protect the parts of their body that they know are going to touch the road every time they stop.
BTW: A close friend who was a motorcycle course instructor told me that steel toes weren't a good idea either because if your foot hits the road the wrong way the steel toe cap can cut your toes off.

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500 custom
277 Posts
Hello, I have a Nolan N90-3, could not be happier. Some years back, I read about a gentleman in California who was unhappy about the mandatory helmet law, so he went out and put a gun to his head and ended it all. Kind of drastic, imo.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,467 Posts
I suspect he had other issues.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
😳 This is a more serious decision than I had realized! 😬

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Do you have any documentation or sources to back that claim up? I agree there have been some incidents where that’s true but not just as many. Sounds like the same argument many people tried to make about seat belts back in the 80’s. I was one of them, and I was wrong.
Read the conclusion in the link at post 13
IMHO-a modular will be equivalent to a full face if the flip front stays closed....

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Read the conclusion in the link at post 13
IMHO-a modular will be equivalent to a full face if the flip front stays closed....
Oh I agree with you 100%. It should be noted that everything Sidecarbob had to say about full faced helmets is strictly his opinion without any kind of documentation to back it up. On top of that, he started talking about steel toed boots and I have never heard of them being recommended for motorcycle use from any reputable source.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts