Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL!

Has anyone swapped the original GL air shock with a modern CB 500 shock? While my GL rides great, I'm getting a little tired of the pogo stick action of the essentially shockless shock.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
How would that compare to a Hagon or YSS designed for the GL500?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than being much cheaper and obviously not designed specifically for the GL, the CB is 310mm and YSS 300. I'd be game for a 15-20mm seat height increase.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're not all that different in weight. Which surprised me and also why I went Ninja 400 instead of CB. That and the lack of availability of 2022 CB 500s here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know for sure that the hole diameter and width would work?
Everything I've been able to find says it'll work. They're cheap enough I'll have to get one and actually try it.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,069 Posts
That bike apparently has a very similar prolink style linkage from the pictures I've seen. On eBay some of the auctions include linkage and some just sell the shocks. That tells me that the weight rating and springload might be close to what is needed to compensate for the prolink in the gl and CXe and turbos.?!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which is why I'd like to try one. Cheap-ish and very available. Even if it isn't perfect, it'll be better than the 40 year old air shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts