Honda CX 500 Forum banner

MN Spring Ride XV - June 4, 2022

5K views 56 replies 13 participants last post by  Fafnir 
#1 · (Edited)
MN Spring Ride XV
The 15th annual Twin Cities Spring Ride and Barbecue will be Saturday, June 4, 2022.

Proposed itinerary:
9:00 Muster at Kwik Trip #640 in Pine Island, MN. (This is further south than in previous years.)
9:30 - 11:00 Pine Island to Winona (77.4 miles, 1:33)
Ecoregion Map Atlas Parallel

11:00 - 11:30 Fuel at Kwik Trip #654 in Winona
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch (across the street) at Mango's Mexican & American Grill.
12:30 - 2:00 Winona to Pepin, WI (64.4 miles, 1:21)
Ecoregion Map Watercourse Screenshot Parallel

2:00 - 2:30 Fuel and rest at Cenex in Pepin
2:30 - 3:30 Pepin to Point Douglas, MN (47.8 miles, :56)
Ecoregion Map World Line Parallel

3:30 - 4:00 Fuel and rest in Point Douglas
4:00 - 5:00 Point Douglas to Barbecue (36.8 miles, 1:04)
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Line

We'll finish with the traditional cook-out at my house.

Please invite your riding friends, regardless of mark, and bring your non-riding family to the Barbecue.
Can't make the ride? Join us at the Barbecue.

Heads up for anyone coming from or through the metro area: Highway 55 is being reconstructed from Mendota to Inver Grove Heights and is closed in both directions.

June 2 Update
I've made some minor adjustments to the map links above (but not the images.)
We might encounter a detour in Dinkytown, near the UofM campus. I'll try to ride through there tomorrow and see what's really closed.
We're likely to encounter some scattered showers on Saturday. Bring your rain gear!

If you want the GPX file, it's here.

Watch this space for further updates.

The pre-ride was Saturday, May 21st. Thank you, Thumper, for the company and input.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Please let me know if you plan to attend, plus any guests, and I'll update the list here. Thanks.

Attending
April2007 (Barbecue)
Arun Natarajan (another friend on a Vulcan S650)
Benjo
(+1?)
Chris (friend on my spare)
dccoleman
Fafnir
Harristm
Ike-adelic
(+1?)
johnste1960
Randall-in-Mpls
TheValk
(+1?)
Tom Mehle

Maybe
Dobie in Maplewood

Regrets
Anne (friend on a Vulcan S650)
Ed H
Eric (Dobie Guest #1)
GLBlinded
Jay (Dobie Guest #2)
kawazywingr
Thumper
WHODAT?

#24 ·
Please let me know if you plan to attend, plus any guests, and I'll update the list here. Thanks.

Attending
Anne (friend on a Vulcan S)
Benjo
dccoleman
Dobie in Maplewood
Eric (Dobie Guest #1)
Fafnir
Harristm
Ike-adelic
(+ some?)
johnste1960
Randall-in-Mpls
TheValk
(+1?)

Maybe
Jay (Dobie Guest #2)

Regrets
Ed H
GLBlinded
kawazywingr
Thumper
WHODAT?
Please add my friend Arun Natarajan. He also rides a Vulcan S 650

Lee

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls
#5 ·
Wow, Randall, you've outdone yourself! I know this route well and it is the best riding in the state. I guarantee everyone who rides will enjoy the countryside and twisty roads with a smile.

Mark me down as attending, and I may be able to join the pre-ride as well. I'll Signal you once I know about this Saturday.

David in Rochester

#7 ·
Heads up for anyone coming from or through the metro area: Highway 55 is being reconstructed from Mendota to Inver Grove Heights and is closed in both directions.

#8 ·
Been a long time, since I have logged in. Nothing to say, until Randall‘s email came to my inbox. As I am now retired, I should have time to join a ride now and then. It IS an awesome route. I’ve got a gl650 that might make that run (I moved even closer to Duluth, so I’m even farther away), but maybe I’ll give the pacific coast some exercise. It will be a walk in the park for that. 9am-pine island will be a 6-7am start. And return home around 9-ish. Fingers crossed. If things don’t change, I would be honored to be able to join you.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I nee to check out my schedule, LOL - being retired, I cant remember what I committed to which is generally not much. If no conflicts I will be a YES.

#15 ·
To judge by my helmet hair, today was a great day!
Lunch was excellent. I told Thumper I might repeat the same route next year just to stop there again.
I'll make a couple small adjustments to the route and post an update, along with the gpx file.
Thanks for coming along, Dave. A second opinion on route options is always appreciated.

Reactions: TheValk and Thumper
#16 ·
Unfortunately that "certain Silverwing" will not be able to attend this years ride. Family medical issues have kept me from doing a proper preseason maintenance. I also have a conflicting activity at the Church where I work. Hoping for next season.

• Sad
#17 ·
I'll be there. Sorry I missed the Pre-ride. We were on Amtrak coming home from Chicago.
The wife scheduled a concert that evening but is looking into taking a friend instead
If the friend can't go, I'll have to make the BBQ short.
Looking forward to it! The Empire Builder goes along the Mississippi River and it looked very high.

#19 ·
You'll be missed. Congratulations to your daughter.

#21 ·
Randall, Thank you for starting in the southern end of the state. I will be there. I ran through the route yesterday, I know I missed a whole lot of the really good stuff, but still, it was an awesome ride. I look forward to the real thing on June 4th. I should update my profile, currently riding 2015 Spyder-RT
Tracy

#25 ·
Bring it with you, Charlie. I'll get it to Steve.

Reactions: kawazywingr
#28 · (Edited)
I was going to offer to lend you my spare Cardo again. Sounds like it will be available for someone else.

#29 ·
I was going to offer to lend you my spare Cardo again. Sounds like it will see available for someone else.
I ordered a second Cardo Bold and it arrived today. I thought I'd lend it to Arun who has the same HJC helmet as mine. Also thinking about my son's visit in the fall and a friend in Chicago visiting. They are both currently motorcyclists without a ride and I have "extra" bikes, helmets and gear.

Randall, could Arun and I meet you at your house to set off for the starting point?

Lee in Longfellow

#30 ·
I am unlikely to join for the trip or the BBQ, but might make it down to Shepard to wave and/or photograph as you pass through Lowertown. It's a quick walk! Trying to limit my social exposure.

Thanks for thinking of me, Randall - I don't recall if I responded to your email or not. That was a very busy weekend and I forgot about it.

-Mel

#32 ·
The current forecast says total accumulation of 1/4" during the day. Shouldn't be too bad.
Adversity is part of adventure. Bring your rain suit.

#33 ·
Randall,
Could we meet you at your house to go to the rally point? If that works, what time?

THanks!

#34 ·
Check my initial post for recent updates.

#38 ·
The expectation of rain today has reduced considerably. We might arrive to wet roads, but the rest of the day, the rain should be south of us.
Pack your rain gear, and have a safe ride this morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.