Honda CX 500 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Geez nolimitz you are crabby. We decided to try some mic hookups on this ride, especially since we will have a large group, although we have done just fine in the past without. Primary function will be traffic control and safety, my little joke about singing was to get that point across, although we are all big boys and if someone wants to chat a little it won't hurt anything. I am looking forward to trying it out.

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,266 Posts
Not to worry, was only kidding.
Will keep in mind comm channel for official use only.
I'm wondering if I should ride in front of Thumper? We will want to space out the DMC?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
Maybe old school, but what is the "NEED" to be able to talk to all riders in a group? Not my style. Cross chat would get really annoying while trying to enjoy a ride? JMHO
The value is in the leader being able to communicate with the sweep. A couple in the middle will be useful, as well. The rest can be in if they want to.
Given the limited range of the Bluetooth connection between brands, we'll need those comms in the middle to relay the signal.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Geez nolimitz you are crabby. We decided to try some mic hookups on this ride, especially since we will have a large group, although we have done just fine in the past without. Primary function will be traffic control and safety, my little joke about singing was to get that point across, although we are all big boys and if someone wants to chat a little it won't hurt anything. I am looking forward to trying it out.
Not crabby, just don't understand. I like music and scenery while riding. like I said I'm anti-social. my post was not directed to your singing.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
If everyone knows the route/general direction and end point what is the big deal if the group gets split in two or three. Probably more safe that way in the long run. If some one gets lost that is part of the fun.

Our DGR ride ( 100+ bikes) here in the past few years would stop traffic at lights and allow everyone to go thru on reds. Cops could not care less what we did for 2-3 minutes at intersections

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
If everyone knows the route/general direction and end point what is the big deal if the group gets split in two or three. Probably more safe that way in the long run. If some one gets lost that is part of the fun.
Before GPS, I used to print ample copies of the route maps. No one took them. I'd rather spend the afternoon seeing new scenery, rather than backtracking for a lost rider.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Before GPS, I used to print ample copies of the route maps. No one took them. I'd rather spend the afternoon seeing new scenery, rather than backtracking for a lost rider.
I suppose I should look it up, but shouldn't the Cardos be dispersed, not bunched up? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4s back from the front?

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
633 Posts

Our DGR ride ( 100+ bikes) here in the past few years would stop traffic at lights and allow everyone to go thru on reds. Cops could not care less what we did for 2-3 minutes at intersections
In the wild west they had vultures overhead-now we have cameras & lawyers every mile.
split groups might be good idea rather than force way thru intersections.
Paul

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Unlike some years, this year we will have people who have not been on the ride or who haven't for a while. That's why a brief talk by Randall before the ride is a good idea, so everybody has some idea what to expect, because every intersection is a unique situation. Groups occasionally will get separated, as we are not riding in open country out west, but will be in a mix of farmland, suburbs, and city.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
In the wild west they had vultures overhead-now we have cameras & lawyers every mile.
split groups might be good idea rather than force way thru intersections.
Paul
Wish you were coming to lead a split!
I have the route on my Garmin, so if I am in the back 3/4ths, I can help Thumper get the rest to the next stop if we split.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Unlike some years, this year we will have people who have not been on the ride or who haven't for a while. That's why a brief talk by Randall before the ride is a good idea, so everybody has some idea what to expect, because every intersection is a unique situation. Groups occasionally will get separated, as we are not riding in open country out west, but will be in a mix of farmland, suburbs, and city.
Randall's a good leader. Even with our short group on the pre-ride, he went slow or stopped when you got cut off by red lights.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I won't leave anyone behind. That's why the comms are helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The last ride I was on went really smooth --this list looks quite a bit longer bur I guess we will see
Lee starting to look like I will make the ride-but i am map guy.
Paul
Good news! Please bring a map. I can send you jpegs of Randall's google maps route if that would help you mark yours.
Took my mesh pants to Nokomis Taylor (He likes to work on cycle gear) to have the legs shortened. Should have them back by Thursday.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
It's going to be HOT on Saturday. Hydrate well on Friday and carry water on the Ride.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
MN Spring Ride XIV
The 14th annual Twin Cities Spring Ride and Barbecue will be Saturday, June 5, 2021.

** THE MUSTER SITE AND TIME HAVE CHANGED! **
Please update your status to verify that you've seen the changes.

Itinerary:
9:00 Muster at Holiday Stationstore on Vinewood Lane in Plymouth
9:30 - 10:30 Plymouth to Delano (31 miles, 0:55)
View attachment 208102
10:30 - 11:00 Rest / Fuel
11:00 - 12:00 Delano to Champlin (33.4 miles, 0:56)
View attachment 208103
12:00 - 1:30 Lunch at Q Fanatic (fuel next door)
1:30 - 2:30 Champlin to Wyoming (43 miles, 1:01)
View attachment 208104
2:30 - 3:00 Rest / Fuel
3:00 - 4:00 Wyoming to St Anthony (41 miles, 1:03)
View attachment 208105
4:00 Barbecue

Due to limited dining room space at Q Fanatic, we'll be eating outside. There some shade and a picnic table across the parking lot. I think we'll park at the gas station next door, and some of us can fuel up while others start the lunch line.

We'll finish with the traditional Barbecue at my house.

Feel free to invite your riding friends, and bring your non-riding family to the Barbecue.

This Ride will be held in memory of David Weiner (DavidfromWisconsin).

Watch this space for updates.

For anyone who wants it, the GPX file is below. You'll need to rename the extension from .txt to .gpx
I'd enjoy joining in on this ride. I've had an '82 GL500 for three years now, and it suits me very well. Nice ride.
I'm not able to attend this ride, thanks though for putting it on and thanks for the maps. I live in south mpls and usually head south or west when I ride, and this will be nice to recreate when I can.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Sorry you can't make it, Greg. Thank you for responding.
And thanks to all for confirming you saw the updated info. Now, we shouldn't have anyone arriving an hour late at the wrong location.

141 - 160 of 213 Posts