Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
They're mesh networks aren't compatible. They can communicate via Bluetooth, but the range is less and they might not reconnect automatically. It is possible to daisy-chain Bluetooth devices.
If most folks have, let's say Cardo, the Senas (and other brands) can be be added to the network by pairing each with an individual Cardo unit. It would be similar if the majority are Senas. A blended network would dictate the riding order to some extent, to keep the Bluetooth connections in range.
I have to say, that PackTalk Slim is becoming more appealing, but if we have mostly Senas, I'll probably go that way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a generation or two old Veetop communicator. It was gifted to me from a friend for doing some computer work. At the time I think it was $50 or so on Amazon. Pretty sure they use some kind of RF to communicate that's not bluetooth with an advertised range of 800m. I'd have to say at least 800m from actual usage communicating with another. Volume is OK, could be a smidge louder but is adequate. If I leave home with a full charge, it'll easily go all day playing music.

More than likely this unit is not compatible with Senas or Cardo.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
They're mesh networks aren't compatible. They can communicate via Bluetooth, but the range is less and they might not reconnect automatically. It is possible to daisy-chain Bluetooth devices.
If most folks have, let's say Cardo, the Senas (and other brands) can be be added to the network by pairing each with an individual Cardo unit. It would be similar if the majority are Senas. A blended network would dictate the riding order to some extent, to keep the Bluetooth connections in range.
I have to say, that PackTalk Slim is becoming more appealing, but if we have mostly Senas, I'll probably go that way.
I have a cheap bluetooth unit from AliExpress. I can't hear a damn thing with the provided mic/speakers. I got an In-ear set that seemed to work better, but not good. I have Sony BT earbuds, but they are too fat inside of the helmet. So, I'll watch here and go with the majority. I've heard of people using their phones and Discord group chat. I'll search that.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The more I read, the more I like the Cardo Packtalk Slim. Any older Senas (20S EVO and earlier) won't be Mesh capable, so we'll be on a BT or hybrid network, anyway.
I have heard about using whatever headset you have to connect through the phone to a Discord server. I don't have unlimited mobile data, though, so it could get expensive.
The 800m Veetops I find on Amazon are BT capable. Bring them along, and we can try to connect them. Maybe we'll have anyone with comms arrive 30 minutes early. We can dry run it on the pre-ride, too.
I'm considering also picking up a single Fodsports FX6 for the occasional passenger. It's hard to justify $465 for the PackTalk 2-pack when 90% of my riding is solo.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
The more I read, the more I like the Cardo Packtalk Slim. Any older Senas (20S EVO and earlier) won't be Mesh capable, so we'll be on a BT or hybrid network, anyway.
I have heard about using whatever headset you have to connect through the phone to a Discord server. I don't have unlimited mobile data, though, so it could get expensive.
The 800m Veetops I find on Amazon are BT capable. Bring them along, and we can try to connect them. Maybe we'll have anyone with comms arrive 30 minutes early. We can dry run it on the pre-ride, too.
I'm considering also picking up a single Fodsports FX6 for the occasional passenger. It's hard to justify $465 for the PackTalk 2-pack when 90% of my riding is solo.
Thanks. I didn't know but if you could just call a number (ike in Zoom) then it wouldn't be data. I am too hopeful I guess. I will check out the Cardo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Please let me know if you plan to attend, plus any guests, and I'll update the list here. Thanks.

Attending
Anne (Benjo's sister)
Benjo-from-mpls +1
dccoleman
(+1?)
Dobie in Maplewood (+2?)
Fafnir (+?)
Graywolfs02
Greg Carr
Ike-adelic
(+?)
Johnste1960
kawazywingr
Mo S Chuin

Randall-in-Mpls
TheValk (+?)

Thumper
Tom-in-Robbinsdale
Waltre

Maybe
Blindstitch
Carroll412
DanCX500
EbbMart
John Stark (off-forum friend)
RonJ
Zach Godel

Regrets
EdH
WayneDW
MN Spring Ride XVI
The 14th annual Twin Cities Spring Ride and Barbecue will be Saturday, June 5, 2021.

(At least until Gov. Killjoy finds out and shuts us down.)

Proposed itinerary:
10:00 Muster at Freedom Gas Station in Plymouth.
10:30 - 11:15 Plymouth to Watertown (29 miles, 0:45)
11:15 - 11:45 Rest / Fuel
11:45 - 12:45 Watertown to Champlin (33.4 miles, 0:53)
12:45 - 1:45 Lunch at Q Fanatic (fuel next door)
1:45 - 2:30 Champlin to Wyoming (33 mile, 0:45)
2:30 - 3:00 Rest / Fuel
3:00 - 4:00 Wyoming to St Anthony (40.7 miles, 1:02)
4:00 Barbecue

This seems like a somewhat short day, even with the generous rest stops, so I might try to add another segment after lunch. Or we just take it easy and enjoy a little more social time at the end.

Feel free to invite your riding friends, and bring your non-riding family to the Barbecue.

This Ride will be held in memory of David Weiner (DavidfromWisconsin).

Watch this space for updates.
Maybe,USMC Grunt from WI

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I've put it out there, but no bites yet. Are we at "Full" status?

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Randall-in-Mpls said:

MN Spring Ride XVI
The 14th annual Twin Cities Spring Ride and Barbecue will be Saturday, June 5, 2021.

(At least until Gov. Killjoy finds out and shuts us down.)

Proposed itinerary:
10:00 Muster at Freedom Gas Station in Plymouth.
10:30 - 11:15 Plymouth to Watertown (29 miles, 0:45)
11:15 - 11:45 Rest / Fuel
11:45 - 12:45 Watertown to Champlin (33.4 miles, 0:53)
12:45 - 1:45 Lunch at Q Fanatic (fuel next door)
1:45 - 2:30 Champlin to Wyoming (33 mile, 0:45)
2:30 - 3:00 Rest / Fuel
3:00 - 4:00 Wyoming to St Anthony (40.7 miles, 1:02)
4:00 Barbecue

This seems like a somewhat short day, even with the generous rest stops, so I might try to add another segment after lunch. Or we just take it easy and enjoy a little more social time at the end.

Feel free to invite your riding friends, and bring your non-riding family to the Barbecue.

This Ride will be held in memory of David Weiner (DavidfromWisconsin).

Watch this space for updates.

Maybe,USMC Grunt from WI
When you quote a post, put your comments after the last [ /QUOTE].
I'll list you as Maybe.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
I've settled on the PackTalk Slim, or maybe the Bold.
The best deal I've found is a two-pack for $412, so $206 per unit, plus tax.
The PackTalk Bold has a little more range (better antenna) for about $4 more per unit.
Including myself, there are three who have expressed interest. We need an even number for the best pricing to work. Anyone else in?
This won't exclude Senas and other brands. If we spread these Dynamic Mesh units throughout the group, the others can connect to them via bluetooth, and we'll all be connected. For folks without a comm, it will be like every previous Spring Ride.
Let me know here if you're interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I'm leaning toward the Packtalk Slim, despite the slightly reduced range, for this reason:
In FortNine's comparison, the only place Sena wins is in the security of the mount. Because it slides onto the base from above, it will stay in place if you accidentally press the release button. Unlike the PackTalk Bold, the Slim doesn't have a separate baseplate, so that's not a concern.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Packtalk Slim, despite the slightly reduced range, for this reason:
In FortNine's comparison, the only place Sena wins is in the security of the mount. Because it slides onto the base from above, it will stay in place if you accidentally press the release button. Unlike the PackTalk Bold, the Slim doesn't have a separate baseplate, so that's not a concern.
Wouldn't it be easy to make a secure attachment with screws or epoxy? I think the advantage of the Slim is being two piece. If one comes off the other is still anchored.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
We've got four in for the Cardo buy, possibly five. If five, we'll need a sixth. Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wouldn't it be easy to make a secure attachment with screws or epoxy? I think the advantage of the Slim is being two piece. If one comes off the other is still anchored.
Maybe cut a rubber band from a bicycle inner tube to secure it on the base?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts