Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the 2nd state to register on the new board (darn, Oregon beat us to the punch to be first).

While we wait for old content to be imported, we can start a new thread for Missouri riders of CX/GL bikes.

As of this date, looks like Maggie isn't not working well. I was riding her a week ago and she quit on me right around sunset, and about 20 miles from the house. AAA towing was able to pick us up and bring us home. A check of her engine shows that she no longer has spark (well, there is no ignition spark, is what I meant). Looking at either making a CDI stator work (thanks to Randall helping me out with two more stators for my parts box), or...ahem...

Bringing the engine up to 1982 and using the TI modules and newer version stator. Time is the enemy as I am finishing home projects, going out of town with the family for four days, and starting a new job next week. So, I will have to squeeze in time and drop the engine and make the repairs.

More to come...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Count me in on the Missouri folks. I don't know how many "Showmeers" we have here, and it seems we are scattered about the state too. I know of Sweet Springs, Belle, Joplin, Springfield, Troy, Wildwood, Kansas City, and I think one in St. Louis.

All of these seem to be about 100 miles from each other. It's too bad Missouri is almost as large as Texas, otherwise we could get together easier.

Have you determined what is ailing your bike? I have a extra CDI that I think works well if you want to try it. Maybe try the "white wire fix" and see if that brings it back. But if your bike has no life or spark at all, that may not solve the problem. You could try unpluging the black/white wire that comes out of your CDI. This is the kill switch circuit and eliminates that circuit from the possible problem area. If the bike then starts, you will have to stall or choke it to stop the engine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Fox,

Glad to see you back on here. We'll wait for the others to find us as they sign back up on the new board.

Issue with the bike: the high voltage winding (blue & white) doesn't have continuity to ground. Blue to White winding is OK, tho. I checked the black/white wire for the kill switch and that didn't change anything. My charging windings are bad as well, so this current stator is ready to be yanked!

So, I am gonna try out the one stator that looks OK from the two I got from Randall in Mnpls last month, and see if that will work. I did check my 1982 stator and it reads good on the coils with no shorts to ground, so that is Plan B. It will take a small rewire on the kill switch, as I have one of each flavor I can use.

Otherwise, I will start tearing one apart and doing a rewire, and a write up of the rebuild (to compliment Ofapars rebuild web page).

This week I am hoping to brave the hot temps and get out to the garage to work on the bike. I start a new job on Friday and my training location may be a 90 mile round trip. Would be nice to ride the bike vs. burning a lot o' gas in the van!

Thanks for the CDI offer, which I may take you up on if the stator replacement shows that the CDI is also affected. I travel through Columbia when I take the daughter to Truman, and I will be in town for the MS150 in September. Maybe we can find a time to meet up during that weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Include me in for the Show Me state. great place to ride. Especially the Ozarks. ;-) I've been with my CX for almost a year now, I started mods in December and havent ridden her since.. Would love some help from a fellow Missourian. Pod filters, and turn downs means my jets are to small. Love these bikes.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Where in Missouri are you located, Bobjob? We are scattered across the state, with very few in the same area.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, BobJob! Let us know what you need to get you riding on that CX! You're gonna love it!

BlueFox, I got my bike running again last week. Swapped out the stator and she is running very well. Found the sources of the oil leaks and new gaskets are helping (Honda NOS part on the rear cover; homebrew poster board gasket on the transmission cover). Next step is to swap out the old megaphone mufflers with some Harley sportster mufflers a friend gave me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm about 35 miles East of Springfield, Ava.. A little town but we have a small strong riding community. This week i came to terms that I have to re-jet anyway so I took off my H- box muffler and NOW I have to figure out how to come up with upswept megaphones with the tools I have at hand.. err. Really would love to make my own two into one but have a lack of a welder. WOULD LOVE some help or advice

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm about 35 miles East of Springfield, Ava.. A little town but we have a small strong riding community. This week i came to terms that I have to re-jet anyway so I took off my H- box muffler and NOW I have to figure out how to come up with upswept megaphones with the tools I have at hand.. err. Really would love to make my own two into one but have a lack of a welder. WOULD LOVE some help or advice

Whoa, I need to check back here more often...not getting email updates on the subscribed threads.

BobJob, you may want to make friends with one of the guys at the local muffler shop, as they may be able to build something for you. I have a pair of Harley Sportster mufflers that I will be replacing my originals, so I hope to have that done shortly. There are folks on this board and on other boards for the CX that have done custom mufflers. The dutch site is one place who has several modders that have built. Check out Ofapars website for some pics on his builds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the idea! i'm thinking about just sitting on the project 'til I find an exhaust shop job. =) I'm a certified welder/fabricator with a lack of tools and job.. so I'm looking for a position with exhaust or something to the effect so I can *hone* my skills ;-) haha. I'm an aspiring young builder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the idea! i'm thinking about just sitting on the project 'til I find an exhaust shop job. =) I'm a certified welder/fabricator with a lack of tools and job.. so I'm looking for a position with exhaust or something to the effect so I can *hone* my skills ;-) haha. I'm an aspiring young builder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.