Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am about to get my 79 custom signed over to me and I intend to get historic plates. The instructions say to send in the title, fees and insurance to Jeff City, but I wonder if anyone knows if I can just send in the title signed over to me or do I need to get a title in my own name first and send that off. Just wondered if anyone from Mo has insight into the process. Thanks!
J

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Hi
I am about to get my 79 custom signed over to me and I intend to get historic plates. The instructions say to send in the title, fees and insurance to Jeff City, but I wonder if anyone knows if I can just send in the title signed over to me or do I need to get a title in my own name first and send that off. Just wondered if anyone from Mo has insight into the process. Thanks!
J
Might b quicker to ring ur local office....
Its Easter so less traffic here on the forum..
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,433 Posts
Easter is a Sunday, so the DMV wouldn't have been open anyway. Some places will have Easter Monday as a public holiday. Business as usual tomorrow.
Happy Easter, btw.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Umm....yeah i meant each state is different so might get a quicker response from his local office.. than waiting for a same state member to reply during Easter..
When i googled Easter in Usa..was suprised many of the days arent official holidays there....

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm....yeah i meant each state is different so might get a quicker response from his local office.. than waiting for a same state member to reply during Easter..
When i googled Easter in Usa..was suprised many of the days arent official holidays there....
Ok, to answer my own question: Apply for the title in dmv as normal and then send the receipt they give you with the form, insurance, payment etc.

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
curious why the historic plate? Are there riding restrictions involved. many states restrict daily usage.
Limit of 1000 miles per year. Need to keep a log. Get a permanent 1979 style plate. Don’t need to buy new tags/plates every two years or get it inspected.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
If its not a "daily ride" most people go "club reg" or historic in oz.....especially it its one of several bikes.
Both mine have "full reg"....unusual amoungst my riding associates....
Do they restrict use.. like can u use it daily as a commuter under that milage cap??

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If its not a "daily ride" most people go "club reg" or historic in oz.....especially it its one of several bikes.
Both mine have "full reg"....unusual amoungst my riding associates....
Do they restrict use.. like can u use it daily as a commuter under that milage cap??
There are no restrictions other than keeping it to 1000 miles and keeping a log. Trivial journeys can be logged as such weekly.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
There are no restrictions other than keeping it to 1000 miles and keeping a log. Trivial journeys can be logged as such weekly.
Is keeping a log just an MO requirement? Who's going to check it? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is keeping a log just an MO requirement? Who's going to check it? Not being sarcastic, just curious.
Police can ask to see it, but from what I hear, this is rare. Obviously I will be logging accurately, but there is no way to verify this since there is no odometer reading required and the bike is odometer exempt on the title. Mine will be a 1979 style plate, so might get more attention. If it gets too bothersome, I will revert to the normal plate. Not sure what other states do. I save about $20 a year and a trip to get the inspection done every 2 years.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
In the UK, vehicles over 40 years old are no longer required to have an annual safety inspection (the 'MoT' test), though you can still have it tested if you choose to, and also don't have to pay annual tax provided they are registered as 'historic', which is optional. Vehicles even keep their registration number (as they normally do throughout their life anyway), and outwardly there's no indication on the vehicle to show its status.
A bike MOT is just under £30, and tax for a CX500 is currently £73, a CX650 is £101. A nice little saving for me now...
Most 'classic' insurance here limits annual mileage, typically starting at 1500 miles up to unlimited (as mine are), but with no annual test where the mileage is recorded, and the insurers not insisting on testing, who's to know?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Here for interest, in Victoria at least, its unlimited mileage, but you can have 45 or 90 days (use) for 1 permit. (Once that runs out you can buy an additional usage permit)
Anywhere the bike is 100metres or more from the garage address needs to be logged-but multiple trips on the same day need only the first trip logged.

Johnww has me thinking to swap both bikes over, as Im tending to use mine less as a "daily workhorse" an time goes on...

Reactions: Johnww

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am from the UK originally and it sounds like a pretty good deal there.
Yes, it is pretty good. The only real proviso is that with a 'historic' registered vehicle the onus is on the owner to maintain it in a roadworthy condition so that it would pass an MOT test. If it was involved in an accident and a fault(s) identified that could well have contributed to the cause, then there could be a problem for the owner. Having said that, any vehicle's MOT pass certificate is only good at the time of the test anyway - anything can deteriorate within a year... One good thing is that a vehicle's complete MOT record (with dates, failures, mileage and any faults, from 2006 onwards), and tax status are visible online for anyone to look up - it can often make for 'interesting' reading!
No log needs to be kept, no limit on the number of days used - you could use a 'historic' vehicle as your daily driver.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yep, as PDC says- we've got a pretty good deal in some respects (though most of europe has 25 years, and other countries within Europe don't have tax/testingfor bikes <250cc etc anyway).

My CX I have regisered as historic just this month actually and got a cheque back with remaining tax credited to me. So that's the 4 vehicles now I don't pay tax on.. No restrictions if using the vehicle for personal use (not commercial). All year riding, as many miles as you want, and pretty much whatever you want to use it for, whether that's commuting or not. The only thing I had to do (though I've done it for other bikes too) was get a certificate (£25) from Honda declaring manufacture was June '81 and not mid Jan '82 (which is when it was registered). Good job I did that in 2020, because it took UK Honda 8 months to finally give me the certificate at which point if I started now I may aswel not bother paying the £25. That said, now I am essentially registered historic a year 'earlier' than I would have been if I didn't get proof of manufacture. So, in my case, for my bike (and yes this is for the UK proceedure), I sent off the V5 logbook with 'vehicle taxation' modified as 'Historic' instead of 'Bicycle', sent off V112 (MOT exemption form), and V10 (Application of tax), as well as the certificate of true manufacture and a cover note to Swansea and all was good. 5th time doing it.

As for insurance, I hate 'classic car/bike' insurance and I strain to the brokers that I don't WANT classic insurance, just because I have an old vehicle. Not that it's a big deal at my age and experience but you don't get NCD for classic insurance.

I save £597 at current table rates that I otherwise would pay for my 4 historic vehicles, including MOT. £295 is tax on a car though, which I've had historic since 2020. It adds up my friends! Pity my next vehicle to be declared historic isn't until 2028.... then the next 2031, then 2032, then 2053 haha.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts