Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Face of my GL500 speedometer lost one screw. Anybody figure ou to get at it. & actually succeed? Anybody ever figure what size it is?
My only idea is to drill small hole in glass (plastic) & drop some super glue in hole to stabilize it then a drop to seal glass. When that fails find used speedo!!
Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I think Larry shows how to cut the metal ring off of the tach and reattach it in one of his write ups, could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,433 Posts
Don't drill the glass. It will shatter.
I can scavenge a screw from a wrecked gauge.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I think Larry shows how to cut the metal ring off of the tach and reattach it in one of his write ups, could be wrong?

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like the route to take.

Thank you Mike,
Paul

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I actually did manage to drill a hole, but in addition to the loose screw also had a spider web in there, no idea how the spider got in there.
Ended up taking the thing apart by Dremel cutting the outer band.
Used a big hose clamp to reseal it, janky but whatever.
Now when I sell it the buyer will think I rolled the odometer back.
In hindsight would have left the screw in there to rattle around.
I think it's 3 mm, could even be smaller, if that's even possible.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,904 Posts
I think they are something like M2 or M1.5.

When I got my GL500 the trip odometer's reset shaft was broken off so I covered the hole and for the first winter I had to write the mileage on the receipt every time I filled the tank and carry it with me. Someone posted instructions on the old Classic Wings MSN group forum for opening a speedometer for repair by cutting the band and I had an old GL1000 speedometer that had stopped working but the odometer was OK so in the spring of 2001 I opened it up and transplanted in the working trip odometer assembly.
When I put it back together I buttered epoxy into the band, put it in place and wrapped electric tape over it, stretching the tape as hard as I could starting with a wrap across the front & back to hold it together and then several turns around the outside to clamp the band in place. When I took the tape off a day later the only way to tell it had been opened was by the slight mark on the band where the glue showed but I chose a location where that wouldn't be very visible.
BTW: A cutoff disc in a motor tool (Dremel or other) will work to cut the band but it is safer to cut it with a razor saw such as the Atlas Snap Saw I keep in the garage shop for things like that (& probably easier not to mention that it makes a narrower cut).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts