Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this question is related to my other thread.

I have a cx650 turbo where the starter switch broke apart. I have now found all the pieces with the exception of the brass slider which actually makes the electrical contact when the switch is depressed.

I am now thinking of getting a used switch and using the parts out of it to repair my switch

My question is this: Do all or most switches use the same principal and is any given switch likely to have the brass slider I am looking for?

If not, anyone know of a switch that uses the same brass slider that I am likely to find at a salvage yard?

Better yet, Does anyone have a old non functional switch off of some bike that has a brass slider that I could get?

Even the cheap switches on flea bay are getting more than I care to pay for something I want to tear apart and use for its pieces.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
200 Posts
. . . the starter switch broke apart. I have now found all the pieces with the exception of the brass slider which actually makes the electrical contact when the switch is depressed.

. . . Do all or most switches use the same principal and is any given switch likely to have the brass slider I am looking for?
The internal switch contacts are not at all standardized. You would do better to select a switch that fits rather than disassemble another switch to salvage the contact.

Having said that, the last time I lost a contact during switch cleaning, I hammered a new one out of a bit of #12 copper wire and filed it to fit. It takes a bit of trial and error, but a trip to the junkyard takes time too.

This used one is a bit scraggly, but if you're thinking of removing the switch and installing it in your unit, appearance doesn't matter. The price isn't all that bad.

1980 1981 1982 CX500 CX 500 on Off Start Button Switch Control | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Start...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51ade59b1c&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those switches in the previous post are all completely different inside. The correct part looks like a wide U shaped piece of brass with a pin in the center where the spring locates and two raised bumps on the outside to make connections. I would imagine not many switches have the same internals but I'm willing to bet that some of the members of this forum have some broken switches kicking around since the design is so poor...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:ccasion14::

See pics in the other thread where I will continue the journey to repair :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts