Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 CX500c that is not running correct. After the bike warms up it develops a miss fire that is heard thru the exhaust. It sounds like a puff or small pop like a burnt valve. I have checked the carbs for leaks and replaced the resistor in the spark plug caps with the solid bar. None of this has corrected the problem. The bike runs fine cold and revs freely the only time the problem is present is on a steady cruise around 4000-4500 rpm with the bike fully warmed up. Have read about a diode used to prevent cross fire but have no idea where it is. What do I check next and how do I check it as I don’t want to just start replacing parts with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this just on one side?

Have you adjusted the tappets correctly?

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/CXGLTappets.htm#CXGLTappets
I actually have only had the bike about a month. If the tappets were adjusted it was done by the previous owner. Would this cause the problem only when warm?

The sound seems to come from the right side only. The spark plug cap on the left was corroded so I changed it out and did the right as well. This seemed strange as I thought the problem was on the right not the left.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stator issues only occur when bike is warmed up. Try setting the plug gap to 0.5mm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts