Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had new shinko 230 tourmasters put on my gl650 rims . Was checking out the torque values for axle nut and such and saw this. How many axle pinch bolts have been twisted off? This is a pic of honda factory service manual 20200212_180748_001.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't use 36ft/lbs. I know to tighten axle but before pinch bolt. Just another reason to have some idea of torque values for bolt size

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Interesting, the same mistake is in the GL500 Honda service manual. The correct names are used in the list of torque specifications at the start of the section and the correct values are in the blow-up picture of the rear suspension.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Interesting. In all the years I've had these bikes I've never noticed that. I think it is supposed to read:

"Install the new cotter pin to the torque link bolt.

Tighten the axle nut
TORQUE: 50-80 N-m
(5.0-8.0 kg-m, 36-58 ft-lb)

Tighten the axle pinch bolt"

BTW: Don't forget to loosen the final drive nuts before tightening anything else and tighten them again after everything else so that the FD and wheel splines will be aligned correctly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies fellas. Just wanted to point out the error in the manual. I like to read thru all the steps of what I need to do before I do it. This error really thru me off while reading thru it

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think these also are misprints found in the FSM. They show the Interstate having the smaller bore/piston master cylinder:

My Clymers shows it the same way:

They are misprints, right? Any source showing that the Interstates do use the larger bore/piston?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
FYI the Haynes manual has it the same way, the GL500I having the smaller diameter master cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
The aftermarket manuals often get the specifications from the FSM so it wouldn't be surprising that they would copy an error like that. Maybe we should have a locked thread for FSM errata where things like that could be added as discovered.
I'm still surprised none of us has noticed this before.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Street directory maps have one intentional minor error on each page.

This allows them to detect plagiarism if the error is also copied.

Would Honda do this?
Would Clymers? This from Clymers manual:

Here's another MC related misprint from the FSM GL650 addendum:

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Both of those are likely due to someone copying from something else and not noticing that it was wrong. In the case of the Clymer book they probably copied from a manual they had written for another make/model and in the case of the addendum from the GL500 FSM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts