Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of mirrors finally for my fairing. There is

a decent amount of vibration from the motor that is making looking

through them difficult. Any steps I should go through to minimize

the vibration?

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Are they the aftermarket or OEM mirrors? I am told the aftermarket type are not that good.

Your not going to get 100% vision even out of the OEM mirrors. Mine blur a bit as the rpm's go up too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nutz..

Yeah, on top of it all they are aftermarket. I'll put down some more rubber between the fairing and the mount.

Will also look at isolating the mirrors a bit more to.

·
Registered
762 Posts
What is/was wrong with the OEM ones?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Write up on the old board on how to repair droopy mirrors, click here

Other guys switched the glass from the OEM ones to their aftermarket frames, etc., click here a cached version (as the original was lost during the "backup")

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Carbs out of sync will increase engine vibration too. Try changing you front tire or fork air pressure some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just gave up on the mirrors mounted on the Windjammer IV fairing on my '79, and stuck simple aftermarket mirrors in the handlebar perches like stock. They don't interfere with the fairing and they're steady and clear at all speeds.

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had one mirror totally crapped out from a drop, and I just used adhesive to keep it in place, ie no longer adustable. The left mirror was undamaged, but droopy, I tried to tighten the inside nut, and now it flops like snoopy ears. I am getting a set of handlebar mirrors now, and getting rid of the fairing mirrors once and for all. Polishing the fairing trim should make it look like it came that way, I hope.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The OEM mirrors on my project GL fairing were crunched enough to be un-usable, so I put on a set of aftermarket ones on. They look nice but they do vibrate a bunch.

The aftermarket ones appear to be lighter, which might explain why they vibrate more. I am thinking about drilling a small hole in the back of one of the aftermarket mirrors and pumping in some RTV silicon sealant. Maybe adding some mass to the mirror head would dampen it a bit.

·
Registered
977 Posts
LRCXed,

I agree with you. I have a naked GL500 and it was dropped by the original owner and he had to replace the left mirror. They are on the handle bars and I notice the replacement mirror on the left vibrates a lot and the one on the right, the OEM, I can see clearly in. The OEM has a much heavier shaft than the one that vibrates and I would assume that has something to do with it. The replacement one also has a longer shaft. BillRod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.