Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have issues with the oil pressure indicator not working on a 2.5" Chrome Mini Speedometer like the one in this link:

(http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ome-white-face-speedo-speedometer-490291.html)

It's the universal mini-speedometer you can find almost anywhere. All of the connections are fit and work but once everything is fully connected, all indicators work except for the oil pressure light. If you test it individually, the light registers power but when using the stock harness, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Also is there anyway to change the LED back light on these type gauges, turns out the Speedo has bright blue LED to back light it and the Tach has faint white light to light it up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
check the topic gauge ratio in this forum about the backlight. as for the oil press light perhaps your bike has a tail light monitoring system, where if your rear tail light\brake light isn't working it will turn on the oil pressure warning light. As for the wiring, the oil pressure LED is a red & red\black wire circuit on the gauge. the red wire needs to go the black wire from the harness off the bike which should be the same as the neutral indicator and the red\black wire needs to go to the black red wire off the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check the topic gauge ratio in this forum about the backlight. as for the oil press light perhaps your bike has a tail light monitoring system, where if your rear tail light\brake light isn't working it will turn on the oil pressure warning light. As for the wiring, the oil pressure LED is a red & red\black wire circuit on the gauge. the red wire needs to go the black wire from the harness off the bike which should be the same as the neutral indicator and the red\black wire needs to go to the black red wire off the bike.

It probably helps if I post that it is a 79 CX500 Deluxe....I did wire the neutral (Green) and oil light (Red) to the black power wire, but there was not a red/black wire off the bike. I wired the oil to the blue w/red wire....but still no luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the red\black wire from the gauge needs to go the blue\red wire from the bike. My bad for giving you the wrong wiring color. Sounds like the wiring is done correctly,is your tail lamp and brake light connected and functioning? If it is, I wonder if your LED in the gauge is defective or wire in correctly. With the bike on and the oil press warning lamp ground (red\black on the gauge)not connected to the bike you should have at the wire (red\black on the gauge)battery voltage (postive of voltmeter to red\black wire on the gauge and negative of the voltmeter to chassis\battery ground). If there isn't voltage, try switching the red wire on the gauge (normally positive for the LED)connected to the black postive from the bike (switched power from the bike) with the red\black wire (normally negative for the LED). LED's are electrical check valves, they need proper polarization to work correctly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the red\black wire from the gauge needs to go the blue\red wire from the bike. My bad for giving you the wrong wiring color. Sounds like the wiring is done correctly,is your tail lamp and brake light connected and functioning? If it is, I wonder if your LED in the gauge is defective or wire in correctly. With the bike on and the oil press warning lamp ground (red\black on the gauge)not connected to the bike you should have at the wire (red\black on the gauge)battery voltage (postive of voltmeter to red\black wire on the gauge and negative of the voltmeter to chassis\battery ground). If there isn't voltage, try switching the red wire on the gauge (normally positive for the LED)connected to the black postive from the bike (switched power from the bike) with the red\black wire (normally negative for the LED). LED's are electrical check valves, they need proper polarization to work correctly

Tail light works, but no oil light yet. Actually sending it back cause I found one that has a white back light and I will try again. Also I wired both turn signals into one and now they only light as one.....did you need diodes for those?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.