Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an '81 CX500 Custom last summer, aprox 53,000 miles. Assumed PO did nothing, so I changed plugs, oil, rear end oil, air cleaner, and anything else I could think of. Ran SeaFoam through the fuel system. Several times. Over winter, cleaned out the gas tank real good (it wasn't bad, though), rebuilt fuel petcock.

I notice a miss at about 5200 rpm (5000 to 6000) that's not constant. As in it seems to hit on both cylinders, then several misses, then it's OK, etc, until you get out of that rpm range. It's the left cylinder according to the spark plugs--that one's a little darker and wetter, though not bad. Just not as normal looking as the other one.

I don't know that the carbs have ever been apart, so I was thinking of swapping out for some that Larry has rebuilt (he seems to be the end-all in that department). Was also thinking to replacing the coils or maybe the whole ignition system with an updated one. I don't know which end to start with, the carburetter or the ingition.

Ideas?

Bernie in Ephrata, PA

'81 CX500 Custom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st thing I would do is check and clean the Spark plug caps.

Click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84

Eliminate the easy stuff before possibly going to the carbs.

So I went to the garage to do this, took the left side plug cap off and found it was broken as soon as I took the rubber end seal off (that was the only thing holding it together). So I reckon I'll get a new pair of plug caps first. I should still do the modification to take out the resistor, right? Especially if I go get some Iridium plugs (NGK DR8EIX).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes if the plugs caps have resistors.There's no need to double up if you use any NGK plugs with the,"R" designation.

If you struggle to find the Spark plug caps people on this forum have bought the none resistor(simpler and better) Spark plug caps from this trusted supplier who ship international,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

These are the none resistor ones used on the UK/Euro CX500s like my 1980 CX500s.

Thanks; I was ordering them while you were writing that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.