321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Probably nicer than it was off the showroom floor, Wow!

·
Registered
369 Posts
71 was the first year for the disc.
Yes, bike was delivered with a disk brake. It was manufactured 10/71 and is a K5 model.
I tried to keep it all original. Have almost 600 miles on it now.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Condition wise your bike is beautiful and a credit to you.

Mine awaits resto but is much like yours but is a 71 K4.

The only real difference I can see is that the K5 has different headlight mounts that are chromed. The K4 has a different set painted in the tank and sidecover colour.

I've had 2 K5s but moved them on. the K4 I've had for 39 years.

You do excellent work Flipper.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Condition wise your bike is beautiful and a credit to you.

Mine awaits resto but is much like yours but is a 71 K4.

The only real difference I can see is that the K5 has different headlight mounts that are chromed. The K4 has a different set painted in the tank and sidecover colour.

I've had 2 K5s but moved them on. the K4 I've had for 39 years.

You do excellent work Flipper.
Thanks CXPHREAK! Headlight mounts were chromed and badly corroded. I decided to paint them. Motor and carburetor’s were a challenge for me and I am not sure they are done challenging me. Tried an aftermarket electronic ignition initially. Just changed back to points.

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
The one I resurrected a while back became a different bike once the ignition coils were replaced.

It was reluctant to start, blew smoke, lacked power, always smelled rich, sooty plugs etc. These things appeared to be carbs.

Replacing the coils transformed it into an eager starter and performer that no longer blew smoke.

I actually fitted it with the old coils from a GL700 as its coils had been replaced with coilovers. The mount had to be rejiggered as the GL coils are larger than the 450 coils.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
Tried an aftermarket electronic ignition initially. Just changed back to points.
I have a '71 CB100 that I'm slowly rehabbing for my daughter. It has a 6v points system that I'm considering converting to 12v CDI. What was the hangup in your upgrade?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a '71 CB100 that I'm slowly rehabbing for my daughter. It has a 6v points system that I'm considering converting to 12v CDI. What was the hangup in your upgrade?
Just couldn’t get the timing correct. Will try at a later time again. Also, didn’t want too many unknowns on initial startup.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls
321 - 330 of 330 Posts