Honda CX 500 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
WOW we don't see many of these on here, welcome to the forum! Needs a little TLC but seems to all be there. Nice that it's rideable too.

Take a few moments to check out my links below, and fill out your signature link with the bike details.
It would also be nice to know what the frame and engine serial numbers are. Check the head stock left side for VIN plate data, which should match the frame head stock on the other side (stamped into the frame metal.)

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Did that bike come with dual piston calipers?

·
Registered
1983 GL650i
97 Posts
My GL650i

I've had it out for a few short rides, mostly commuting to work, but also a few hours of just enjoying it and getting used to the new bike. This weekend I'll hopefully get through a full maintenance check up on it and then replace the aging rear tire, and it'll be ready to go for the rest of the season.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Some great bikes posted here
So I Decided to update and post my current, and ever changing, collection.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

Reactions: purplecx500

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did that bike come with dual piston calipers?
This particular market model did, I understand that most Japanese and European bikes came with dual discs as standard, a market demand at the time I remember.
Brake fluid in mine is like coffee so will be changed today, I just need to hunt down some original spec pads as well, modern pads have the wrong 'bite' and wear the discs too much

·
Registered
68 Posts
You gonna put a 500 motor in that thing? :)

Charles.
No, the 40 alleged horsepower is enough for me city driving around Dublin, too much work for a marginal gain....if the motor ever failed then the bike would have to be broken up, a CX 500 motor here is too expensive.
I had a test drive on a Eurosport 650 at the same time, too tall and a bit jerky off the line for start stop in the city, would make a great tourer though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW we don't see many of these on here, welcome to the forum! Needs a little TLC but seems to all be there. Nice that it's rideable too.

Take a few moments to check out my links below, and fill out your signature link with the bike details.
It would also be nice to know what the frame and engine serial numbers are. Check the head stock left side for VIN plate data, which should match the frame head stock on the other side (stamped into the frame metal.)

Joel in the Couve
Frame no. GL400 - 1028380 and the engine number is GL400E - 1028387

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
This particular market model did, I understand that most Japanese and European bikes came with dual discs as standard, a market demand at the time I remember.
Brake fluid in mine is like coffee so will be changed today, I just need to hunt down some original spec pads as well, modern pads have the wrong 'bite' and wear the discs too much
I know they had dual discs, I didn't think they had the dual piston calipers that are on your bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Frame no. GL400 - 1028380 and the engine number is GL400E - 1028387
Nice, frame and engine born together, stayed together.

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
While not a CX, (Don't worry, I still have three!), this is my latest 2-cylinder 500cc project in the works. The basics are all there, and it ran last year, briefly, before the KREEME in the tank de-laminated and re-clogged the carbs I had just cleaned. Now it has the shiny new tank you see here, a nicely re-covered seat, and the beginnings of the cosmetics to make it a workable street fighter.

Charles.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my '79 CX500 Custom. Picked it up as a scrap parts bike and rebuilt myself. Only 22,000 original kms.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Mods Include:
- Stripped and painted frame
- Stripped and enameled motor
- Stripped and painted stock wheels
- H-box eliminated - Wrapped headers straight to 15" mufflers
- Airbox eliminated for pod filters
- Carbs rebuilt and re-jetted
- Lithium battery and MOSFET regulator
- Completely rewired
- LED headlights, rear light and turn signals
- Digital gauge
- Bitwell euro-bars and billet clutch and brake/master cylinder levers
- Steel braided brake line
- Custom cut side panels
- Custom CX seat from C-Racer
- Chopped fenders
- R1 pegs
- Rejuve radiator cover (not pictured)
- Side mount verticle plate holder (not pictured)

Next on the to-do list is new rear shocks and possibly a front fork swap.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My red CX 500... note: RED... undeniable the fastest models... enhanced with Harley mirrors AND... Suzuki M109R foot pegs! Can one beat this for speed parts?? Wanted to change the carbs from that other guy... but it seems people have issues with him ... when they talk about him it is always F Murray (or something like that...) :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

301 - 320 of 330 Posts