Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

Typo! 7,380 miles

New member in Minneapolis with a "new to me" Silver Wing. I lived in Japan from 1999 to 2008. When I came back to Minneapolis, I noticed a beat up Silver Wing parked on the street of my block. I've wanted one since they first came out in the '70s So I googled Silver Wing and saw that they stopped production the year before I moved to Minneapolis 35 years ago.

I created a Craig's List search for Sliver Wing and that mostly brings up the scooter that took over the name. But I kept looking. Last year, I was walking my late Akita Kintaro in our alley and the neighbor across the way was working in his garage. I saw a dust covered bike in the back corner and asked him what it was.
He said "A '82 Silver Wing. I haven't had it on the street since my daughter was born 14 years ago."
I said, "Cool! I've been looking for one!"
He said, "You want it? You can have it!"
I said, "Yes! How much you asking?"
He said, I have to charge the battery and get it started."
That was last year and being a "Minnesotan" I didn't want to bug him, but hoped he would mention it. In the mean time, I picked up an eBike and Bikes At Work trailer to put a solar Kiosk on.
A year went by. Last week while walking my dog, my British neighbor was working in the garage again. He said, "You still want the bike?" I said, I kinda got focused on an electric bike. But, what do you want for it?"
He said, "I never charged the battery and had no time to work on it. If you want it, you need to clean the carburetor and maybe get a new battery, but you can have it."
"Really?!?! Yes! I want it!"
His generous offer saved me negotiating with the wife after putting several thousand in the ebike and trailer!
So, when I came back from the walk, he signed over the title and helped me push the bike to my garage.
I washed it. A little bit of soap and water goes a long way!

Thanks for listening IMG_20180626_124458.jpg IMG_20180626_123459030.jpg IMG_20180627_162218726-001.jpg IMG_20180628_195741757-001.jpg IMG_20180628_195953381-001.jpg xx.jpg xxx-001.jpg

Reactions: hondacx500

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
There are a few of us near enough to you to offer advice/help in getting it back to a safe rideable condition.
Spend time exploring the WIKI and go for it.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thumper! Will surf the Wiki. Where is a good place to take the carburetors to be rebuilt? Right now, I am just cleaning her up.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Are you capable of doing some work on them yourself ?
If not, let's be sure they need to be gone over before you pay someone else to do it.
There is some middle ground here.
Carb removal and partial disassemble for cleaning is a possibility.
Tell me how it is running now.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is not running. Hasn't been on the road for at least 10 years He kept insurance and license on it (gave me the 2018 tags.)
The owner was starting it periodically and would start easily until the battery died. The last time he started it, one of the carbs was shooting out gas. He thought it would at least need a cleaning. Has only 7380 miles on it, so it has mostly been in the garage. I may be up to rebuilding a carburetor in the future, but this first time, I'd like someone to do it who knows what they are doing. Yes, I am able and want to do some work on it my self. I am not in a hurry. Teaching a ceramics class right now at NCC for the next month so just doing cosmetics right now. The kick stands are rusty and sprayed the side stand with permatex today.

I guess what I should learn is how to start a bike that has sat so long. Someone said to spray oil in the spark plug hole. Someone else told me to keep the kill switch on and crank the motor until I can see oil at the top (pull the cover off one cylinder.) Any advice welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I charged the battery the other day, up to 13.4v on the multimeter Now it is at 12.4v. Put the charger back on it today. Hoping to clean some sulfur off.

I've been learning solar panels and batteries so have been having fun powering up batteries.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
You are going to have to check a number of things before you even know what your problems are. "Shooting gas" is not good. Where in Mpls. are you ? I am in Eden Prairie. If I get some time I might be able to pop over and take a brief look.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thumper said:
If I get some time I might be able to pop over and take a brief look.
Texting with my son, I am going to take the plugs off and squirt some WD40 into the chambers and crank or push it in gear with the plugs out, and then let it sit for a day or two. Protect the rings. Will drain and change fluids.

I am in Longfellow, near Lake St. and just a few blocks from the Mississippi River. I put my address in the member's map. I'll let you know when the soak is done and the battery is hooked up.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You can use this battery if you need one.
Thanks! I am not in a hurry to get on the road. But when I get her cleaned up and the motor going, I'll put new rubber on. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Is the fuel coming out of the hole in the topside of the carb body?
Most likely it is a stuck float not closing when the bowl is full.
Try giving the bowl a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle first and see if that makes it stop.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. As has been stated you have several members near by. I am in Columbia Heights and also available if you need some assistance. Things might not e so bad if the PO actually did start it from time to time. Sounds like a good platform to start with.

Steve

Reactions: wm.battle

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No tool kit. What size do I need for the sparkplug?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the Forum. As has been stated you have several members near by. I am in Columbia Heights and also available if you need some assistance. Things might not e so bad if the PO actually did start it from time to time. Sounds like a good platform to start with.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll have a talk with my neighbor and get more details about the storage. I am happy the battery is holding a charge. I don't want to try to start it until I get the plugs off and some lube in there. Protect the rings.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the fuel coming out of the hole in the topside of the carb body?
Most likely it is a stuck float not closing when the bowl is full.
Try giving the bowl a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle first and see if that makes it stop.
Thanks OCR! I'll ask my neighbor and try rapping the carb. Will be able to work on it after the 4th. My last bike was a Norton. And before that a Yamaha 400 special. The GL feels more like the Norton than it does the Yamaha. Right in the middle of the two.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is an excellent group! Thanks for the advice everybody!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Welcome, LittleWing!

You're not far from Hondatown, which is on Lake a few blocks west of the river. Good source for OEM parts, but don't have them clean your carbs. We can do them, and it will only cost you a drive to Northeast. Let me know if you need advice regarding removal.

I use a 19mm deep well socket on my plugs, but I think they really may need just a standard 3/4" SAE plug socket.

R

1 - 20 of 98 Posts