Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Melchiro's GL/CX 650 Project

28072 Views 52 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  melchiro
Well, I have finally rolled the 650 into the garage.. ... This is what it looked like 3 years ago when I brought it home...

Friday, Stripped it down to the frame to cut, weld, modify and clean up ... I have lots of plans and will share them as I go..

So far...

LOTS of rust to clean up...

See less See more
1 - 9 of 53 Posts
Looks very nice. I talked with Kosman once before on a Yamaha project, they are not cheap on their prices so I didn't do the wheel widening. Did you have to send them two wheels? I have a 2.50 x 18 rim I'm trying to get to fit to the original pattern Comstar spokes thus far it's a no go. I do have my rear disc brake conversion done and it's very nice, modern and lighter than the drum set up. l used a 2002/04 R1 caliper and bracket, an SV 1000 rotor and my design and build rotor carrier. It's not all that difficult to do once you have it figured out, pretty too. Once you have the disc brake you can remove the cross tube and the two brackets that go under the frame to carry the drum brake foot lever mechanism and then relocate the side stand. I also made a new side stand, This save a lot of dead weight and leaves more room for the two into one exhaust. Super clean look, less is more.

Cheers, 50gary
How much does the new wheel assembly weight without tire mounted? Also what ithe width of the front wheel?

Cheers, 50gary
My turn for the double post, never talk on the phone when posting

Cheers, 50gary
Thx carolina... Yes the front is from a 1982 GL1100 Goldwing.. That was the only bike sold in the U.S. that had the "Reversed" Comstar in 18" x 2.5". I have this on my Track Bike CB750SC-F as well...

I have that rim for the rear of my CX500 trying and I'm hard to make it fit and be safe. I also prefer the original Comstars. The spokes are too long for the 2.50" width and the rear hub. Honda made the draft angle on the side of the center ring flange different than the 2.15" x 18 rear.

Cheers, 50gary
I've taken both my front and rear wheels apart and made up my own wheels from Honda parts. 18" at both ends. I used Aircraft nuts, washers, and bolts 5/16" at the rim and 8mm at the hub. I set all the nuts with a torque wrench. I also used the original Comstars which are steel spokes not aluminum just my personal preference. I used blue Loctite and the Aircraft nuts are "limited space metallic lockers". Fairly specialized but that what I liked. I then checked my run-out and I'm well within spec. I had them spin balanced after tire mounting and I have full confidence in the wheel build.

Cheers, 50gary
Aircraft hardware comes from Aircraft supply houses. I ordered from J&D Aircraft or you can try Aircraft Spruce. There are a lot of them. Aircraft hardware is different for several reasons, like no thread on the reach part of the shank, you should have two threads showing after the nut but not more than three. At first I tried buying wheel hardware from specialty automotive wheel manufacturers but none would sell to me becasuse of liability issues. Aftermarket compaines like OZ Racing make modular bolt together wheels all the time so I figured if it's good enough for a Porsche or Ferrari then it'll work on a 100 MPH CX 500? One must exercise due diligence.

Cheers, 50gary
5/16" x .870" length, this will give you about two threads beyond the nut. The bolts have to be shortened to this .870 length from the original 1", I did it with a milling machine. If you use original Comstars they are quite a bit different than the reverse Comstars. I also milled the washers both with a flat and a 45 degree edge. This done to accommodate the radius of the rim and the radius of the flange meeting the rim. The rim radius is also why I used the close spaced nuts, otherwise you can't get a wrench in between the nut and the rim. This is my 2.15" x 18" This is the same hub Melchiro uses on the front of his race bikes only this one is highly modified to accept a modern 20mm axle and bearings, in this case GSX-R '07

Cheers, 50gary

See less See more
There are 20mm id bearings that mathch the same OD of the original bearings. New spacers have to be made but that is not that hard if you have a lathe. The bearings are 10 for $20
The bearing seats had to be machined quite a bit. If you check the Honda OEM axle against the Suzuki the hub must be machined. My bearings where about $30.00 per pair. The inside of the hub also has to have clearance to fit the new larger internal spacer. It was a great project with a good outcome. The fit is factory or better, my friend Greg T. did the machine work to my design I cannot claim his level of proficiency on a mill or a lathe. We even cleaned up some of the factory numbers sort of "blueprinting the hub" making sure each surface was perpendicular and parallel. I did the job the way I thought best and it worked out well.

Cheers, 50gary
Good to see you back on the board, engine look's good. Give some thought to a spin on oil filter adapter? I like mine.

The valve covers look nice too. I had a pair Vapor blasted and they have that soft glow look.

Cheers, 50gary
1 - 9 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.