Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post. Second bike.

Okay so I sold my first project called Silvia the other day. She is a CB400N from 1981. Took 7 months, spent quite a lot of money but learned a great deal. I didn't plan on starting on a new project right away but I couldn't help myself when I saw this CX500C - 1981 for sale. I had to buy it. Building a cafe racer from a CX has been on my bucket list for years. Silvia was practice, and this is the bike I'm building to keep, for years to come. It's going to take the time it takes and I'm willing to spend the money to make everything just the way I want it.

Brought the bike home today and we started to take it apart right away. For a 36 year old bike it is in great condition but everything is gonna get cleaned, painted or polished in the following weeks/months. My plan is for it to look as nice as when it came out of the factory in -81 and run better than ever before.

When the donor was brought home I sat and looked at if for half an hour. Planning what to spend money on first. Bought a ton of things, I’m gonna keep it a secret for now but you’ll see. I’ll just say this, after a couple of hours of shopping online my bank gave me a personal call asking what the hell’s wrong with me basically. They saw an alarming amount of paypal expenditure in a short period of time haha. Anyhow, I’ll post what I bought as it shows up!

Everybody, meet Harper.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Her favorite color is blue, she enjoys perfectly jetted carbs and late nights in the garage.

Later,
Vic

·
Super Moderator
11,468 Posts
Welcome aboard, take a few minutes to update your profile Forum settings (link below). I see the bike is not a US version, but in pretty fine shape. I suggest you get all the kinks running wise first, and assuring what it is as was designed. They are a blast to ride as built. I don't quite get all this cafe' "racer" thing, and hate to see a very nice specimen torn up just for that. Better to wail away on a duffer project, IMHO.

With the caveat regarding the mayhem PhotoBucket has foisted upon the inteweb, many of my other helpful links below will likely have broken links to pics. However, glean what you can from the WIKI, it still has a ton of things to help, as well as a free FSM to download. Be sure to get the applicable addendums.

Look forward to seeing where you go from here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to Murray and ordered fresh set of carbs. Prob gonna sell the original carbs and airbox since they're in great condition.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
24,496 Posts
that is a interesting repair it comes from the front cover being cracked at the oil drain plug

i wonder what the plan was to change the oil

or if they used a marine suction pump down the dipstick

or if they did this and sold you the bike?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks!

Your guess is as good as mine :rolleyes: Didn't look to bad though when I opened the filter cover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been a productive day today! Cut the shock mounts and cleaned up the frame a bit.
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycle fork Vehicle

Wet sanded some parts. I want a mirror finish on the clutch cover. Any tips?
Watch Hand Wrist Stopwatch Fashion accessory

Started welding the battery box as well. This will fit under the frame, where the hbox used to mount.
Light Darkness Fun Technology Photography

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle wheel

Cut and tacked tubing for the frame. Ordered a Hookie seat hoop
with a integrated led light that I'm going to weld later. Should arrive in the next couple of weeks. My new shocks should come around that time also. When everything is welded and done the frame will be sent for powder coating!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I continued cleaning the engine. Should get my gasket set and new stainless bolts for the entire engine soon, looking forward to that!

My plan was to use the original front fender, just cut it from either ends making it shorter. Then i noticed that I could weld the end pieces together instead. Tried it out and it looks pretty cool. Ran out of argon when welding unfortunately so I'm gonna have to finish that up another day.

Water Fender Footwear Auto part Vehicle

Recreation Table Games

What is this thing called? Any recommendations into a smaller replacement?
Pink Umbrella Product Magenta Fashion accessory

That's all for today :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would take a braided line straight from each caliper to the master cylinder. Done this on a couple of bikes and it makes for very easy air purge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're not going to reach all the way to my master cylinder. And I'm not planning on replacing the hoses. Otherwise that would be a good idea!

Okay, so a T-joint like the one you linked would work? It does not have any other function than splitting the fluid, like regulating the pressure or something? Also, it said M10x1.0. Pretty sure my bolts are M10x1.25. Would I have to buy new banjo bolts also?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Also, it said M10x1.0. Pretty sure my bolts are M10x1.25. Would I have to buy new banjo bolts also?
The OEM botls are 10x1,25mm
If You buy a splitter with 10x1,0mm You will need three new bolts.
And check to buy shorter ones.
The OEM bolts will be to long.

Don't forget to buy new copper or aluminium sealing washers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The OEM botls are 10x1,25mm
If You buy a splitter with 10x1,0mm You will need three new bolts.
And check to buy shorter ones.
The OEM bolts will be to long.

Don't forget to buy new copper or aluminium sealing washers.
That's what I thought. Just ordered everything needed! Thx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Degreased the engine and started preparing everything that's going to get powder coated. Will replace fork seals and in both wheels so took the old ones out. Got some stuff in the mail also! Bars, headlight bracket, speedo, tires, master brake cylinder and engine gaskets are some of the things I got.

Machine Auto part Technology Engine Robot

Auto part Muffler Tool accessory

Tire Wheel Spoke Rim Automotive tire

This will look sick. Hard to grasp how incredibly tiny this speedo really is!
Gauge Measuring instrument Tool Auto part Meter

Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

It's all about the details :rolleyes: Exciting stuff going on
Automotive tire Tire Machine tool Water Metal

Once I get my seat hoop in the mail I'll weld it together and send everything for powder coating!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That speedo only goes up to 140km/hr!! I am often over 160 on mine LOL. I should probably start acting my age!!!

I got a set of those Shinko's off a Harley mate real cheap who had ordered them online to realise he only had an 18" front wheel and would not fit. Mine will be fitted Friday before I take my bike home. My rear is the white wall version which could look a bit wierd on my GL mags!!! Guess I see how it looks and if necessary get out the tyre black

1 - 20 of 73 Posts