Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am using this thread to document my build, there are a lots of build threads on this site I know but I would like to add my own for my self and anyone interested in me figuring things out as I go. I am a recent college graduate and got my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering.

I am already a little while into my project so I'll start at the beginning.

Here is the bike as I bought it. The bike was dirty, light rust, but no real damage, the starter button didn't work but the owner wired a switch across the starter solenoid and the bike ran fine.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

as you can see someone repainted the tank at some point and it was ugly and cracking.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Fender Car

once I got it back to my friend's garage I went to work finding the problem with the ignition switch which lead me to the Fuse box, posted the question to this forum and got the answer that this is apparently not how it should look....go figure.

Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part

After replacing that the motor fired right up! success!!
Since I had a working bike I could start tearing down, I was eager so my first idea was fixing/painting the tank.

Fuel tank

after stripping the old paint off I found a bunch of dents so I needed bondo.

Table Serveware Metal

Then Primer and base coat. wet sanding using 600 grit between each coat I did 2 coats of color.

Fender Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting

also repainted the Badges

Text Font Number T-shirt Black-and-white

after the second color for the knee dents I added a black outline. then did 2 coats of 2k High gloss Urethane clear coat. sanded using 2000 grit and polishing compound.
I think it came out pretty good for my first time. Not perfect in any sense but I like it.

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle Hood

When I had the motor running I noticed the fan wasn't spinning and immediately was scared the fan "grenaded" and ruined the radiator. despite the fan looking like this....there wasn't damage to the radiator.

Footwear Shoe Plant Flower

I made a quick radiator protector out of expanded steel. logo from my favorite movie and general activity.

Radiator
Toy Cartoon Robot Lego Figurine

SPACESHIP!SPACESHIP!SPACESHIP!

This past weekend I pulled off my engine, Primed, and Painted it (I used POR-15 Engine Enamel)

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

I'm sure my updates will be slow as it gets into the winter so I have less usable light after work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Like the blue on the tank, nice choice of color!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

So a little bit of progress on the bike, today I picked up a complete Front End from a 2003 CBR600RR for $350! the Tire is worn and will need replacing in the future, and I plan on rebuilding the forks as well while they are separated.

A better lit photo from the seller's garage

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took off my center stand tonight and the inner tube wouldn't come out the one side easily and required a little more persuasion, but I found a helpful tip if someone is in the same situation. Use the lower bolt from the Engine Hanger as a push rod (coincidentally the OD of the head of the bolt is the same size as the OD of the pivot tube) put some wood between the bolt an the hammer and lightly tap. Picture for reference

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today i got the chance to use my friends little MIG welder. I used the opportunity to stiffen the rear frame using a piece of the cross bar I cut off, I also sealed the end of the tubes.

I cleaned up my welds with a angle grinder and it looks better than the pictures!

Then I went on to make a seat pan!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back for another update!

Today I reinstalled the rear wheel after Plasti-dip and mounted the engine. I also Plasti-dipped the dust covers for the spare set of shock that I had.

I think it's starting to turn back into a motorcycle! reminds me of the ending of "The Iron Giant"

I love the view from the seat!

I propped up the front wheel and lowered the frame to the height it will be once the forks are mounted.

After looking at the angle I think the first thing I am going to do during Phase two of of the build is get a larger front wheel.

Next thing to do is mount the electric fan and re-install the radiator. Then wait for the Holiday to get some parts hopefully!!!!

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like your having a good time with the build. I envy you guys that are able to get so much done in a short time period. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Do you know who manufactures the quarter fairing in post #1?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Battery Box mounting

So one of the gifts I got for the holiday was a new MotoBatt MBTX12U and I plan on mounting it under the engine like so many others have done. So I took lots of measurements and came up with this Battery Box. Additionally I dimensioned the mounting points since through all my research that was the only thing I could never find. So below is the Engineering Drawing with a few dimensions of the battery box I am going to be making. The holes are clearance holes and are 3/8" DIA

Once I weld the box up I will measure everything again and update my drawing so it is correct in case anything changes.

Also I was hoping to get some advice. Is there anything inherently bad with mounting the solenoid down with the battery box? or should it be moved up under the seat with all of the other electrical components? If it should be moved what gauge wire do I need for the connection from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: MobileAZN

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is there anything inherently bad with mounting the solenoid down with the battery box? or should it be moved up under the seat with all of the other electrical components? If it should be moved what gauge wire do I need for the connection from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid?
I mounted the solenoid to the back of my battery box (much as you have designed) and hung the rectifier off the left (shifter) side of the box. Go here in my (never ending) build thread and you'll see how the parts mounted. Later posted images show it if you look carefully (although none of them really feature it). Seems to work well for me. I don't (purposely) ride in the rain so up to this point, water hasn't effected the electrics.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info flyinelvis! I don't plan on riding in the rain too much either so down low the solenoid goes!!

I did a few things this weekend, I finished installing the All Balls steering bearings! After freezing the stem and heating the bearing it all went together easily!

I painted and wrapped my exhaust headers and installed the crash bars and the radiator!

Even though I need to rebuild the forks I couldn't resist putting the whole front end together and imagining the things to come!

and I took a seat! the bike definitely feels a lot lighter than when I got it, and by lowering the bike it seems to fit my short inseam (I'm only 5'8") a little better than stock.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the carbs now with the help of Larry's fantastic book. I still have lots of work to do but it feels good having the shape of a bike back!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice job so far! What are you going to have to do to get that 600RR front end to fit properly?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job so far! What are you going to have to do to get that 600RR front end to fit properly?
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean? as far as I know the 600RR front end does fit properly with the conversion kit I have on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean? as far as I know the 600RR front end does fit properly with the conversion kit I have on it.
I suppose that's exactly what I meant-- the conversion kit. :) I may have missed it, but as far as I could tell you were just doing a direct swap and I got excited! Haha.

·
Registered
594 Posts
damn, i have a GL500 and I lived in Scituate my whole life, just moved down to NC in October. Just missed ya!
My wife spent 20 years in Arden, moved her to Huntersville, now trying to figure a way back! We visit AsheVegas often, we should hook up, compare notes.

Sorry for the derail, now back to your regularly scheduled build thread, already in progress...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@JAKEOWEN
Damn! I wish I hadn't missed you! I would have loved to meet someone from around here.

So not much has happened wile its been so cold.

renting a non-insulated garage and the sun setting before I'm done work means my fingers are numb from cold 10 min after doing any work there.

but what I did do is finish cleaning and assembling my Kehien Carbs using Larry's book! unfortunately I didn't invest in a ultrasonic cleaner so just the normal carb dip for me. I can tell there is still some cemented dirt in the nooks and crannys that the dip wasn't strong enough for, but the internals are nice!

rejetted to 90/120
new gaskets on the float bowl
polished a little.

other than the surface dirt they were in surprisingly good shape on the insides so everything was simple using Larry's book and some new tools!

Reactions: Motomicah
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.