Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been answered a thousand times in the past, but I can't seem to find it. Where is a good place to get either the Honda or Yamaha mechanical seal? Getting the part numbers hasn't been a problem, but I've got no place to apply them. I'm assuming the respective dealers sell them, but I'm also assuming that, like many parts, they can be had elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. And as long as I'm asking (probably) stupid questions: Where can I get the oil seal?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought the Yamaha mechanical seal at Yamaha of Doraville, 6514 Buford Hwy, 770-449-4340. They had it in stock and the price was within a couple of bucks of what I could have ordered it for.

The oil seal can be purchased from a local Honda dealer or from many of the online Honda sites. I generally put together a mostly complete list of parts before going into an engine, and then order it online in advance. But if a single small item is needed to complete the job then a local dealer usually gets the business.

Be sure to check out the group discount on Honda parts in the Quick Reference thread.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
For the oil seal (you should change ALL the seals if you're going to drop the engine), get the dimensions from any of the online Honda parts dealers (discounthondaparts.com etc) and see if your local autoparts or bearing dealer has them. I bought all the seals from a bearing supply house, they were less than half the price Honda was asking.

As Boulder said, for the mechanical seal, fleabay's got a bunch of sellers around $20 shipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.