Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am now forced to replace my bum Stator, it will do a tripple bypass on my poor baby (would never have attempted this before finding this forum). Does anyone know the part number of the Yamaha seal, as it looks like the Honda one is no longer available from anyone. I tried searching the forum and found great info on expanding the hole (step section) and pressing it in (love that idea), but didnt come across any part number info or where I can find them. I wanted to avoid the Honda dealer as they tend to get the wrong part in about 95% of the time (got me wrong brake pads, gasket, bolt, and almost every other part I asked them for). I just want to make sure I get the right part, as there is nothing worse than spending a lot of time fitting what turns out to be the wrong part lol.

Also, does anyone know a good source for timing chains and bits (not sure how healthy my adjuster bolt is, never seems to get very snug) as I will probably replace that too.

Thanks for all the help everyone

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rickbert, I searched and found lots of references to the Yamaha seal, but for the life of me couldnt find a part number (could be my brain lol). Will start searching to see if I can find one of Ebay or maybe TAS if they carry it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this one liste3d on TAS site, and shows the same number but no reference to the CX500C. Since many of you have done this before, does this look like the right one ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-R1-VMAX-F...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588e7c1de1

If so, I will order it and start searching for a timing chain

Can someone clarify one thing for me, the data regarding the mechanical seal replacement refer to the 78 CX as having a smaller seal. Are the mechanical seal "hole or seat" the same size in all years (mine being an 82 custom) or do only the 78 ones need "reaming" of the pump side ?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Boulder, its a bit cheaper but since Im in Canada the shipping wont be free. Will check to see how much he wants for shipping :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I found this one liste3d on TAS site, and shows the same number but no reference to the CX500C. Since many of you have done this before, does this look like the right one ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Y...=item588e7c1de1

If so, I will order it and start searching for a timing chain

Can someone clarify one thing for me, the data regarding the mechanical seal replacement refer to the 78 CX as having a smaller seal. Are the mechanical seal "hole or seat" the same size in all years (mine being an 82 custom) or do only the 78 ones need "reaming" of the pump side ?

If you are doing the "shep" in-bike method it won't matter what size your metal cup is, as you'll just be removing the rubber bits and not using the metal cup at all. If you do it this way, just remember not to try to force anything and heat the metal cup up well.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, pretty sure I have to do an engine out, as I have to change the Stator and check the timing chain. I was going to use the whole seal and press fit it in as described here in the forum. Was just not sure if ALL CX models used the same "old smaller honda seal" as it only talks about a CX500 78. If they are all the same I will just "enlarge" the section on the water pump side of the weep hole as described.

Figured it would be safer than me trying to get rubber bits out "in one piece" lol

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I have an extra one that I got from Doward during his group buy here a few months back. I could mail it to you without it costing too much. You might PM Doward and see if he has any left just in case, but if you want mine, you can have it for the postage.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ramprat06, thanks so much for the offer but I have already ordered one. I think its great the way people here go out of there way to help others. Fortunatly I do have a little bit extra cash so getting it and a few other parts isnt to much of a problem at this time, guess I was just lucky it waited until I had a bit of extra lol.

I am hoping that once I get my shed built and clear my work stock out of the garage I will have room to work again, and maybe I can help out others here buy using some of the stuff I have in the garage (welders, metal lathe and a ton of other metal working stuff).

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
IIRC the Yamaha seal,if used complete,requires the Rear engine cover hole opening out.I would suggest you just use my method 1st as it's easier.There's no advantage to removing the original,"Metal Cup" if it's not leaking.You,"Can" use the Yamaha inner seal part in the Standard cup.

HTH

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only reluctance in leaving the old metal cup is the though of having to pull apart the new seal. Im not sure how easy it is to get apart, and I sure dont want to wreck it. Just the thought of "heating" something thats rubber/plastic makes me cringe lol. I sure would be easier to not have to open up the hole, just not sure if I can pull off removing the seal innards and making them go in ok in the old cup.

I guess I can only go by the people that have done it, and if you think I can get it right Im willing to give it a go (was going to buy 2 anyway lol just in case)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
My only reluctance in leaving the old metal cup is the though of having to pull apart the new seal. Im not sure how easy it is to get apart, and I sure dont want to wreck it. Just the thought of "heating" something thats rubber/plastic makes me cringe lol. I sure would be easier to not have to open up the hole, just not sure if I can pull off removing the seal innards and making them go in ok in the old cup.

I guess I can only go by the people that have done it, and if you think I can get it right Im willing to give it a go (was going to buy 2 anyway lol just in case)

See this link again,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355

Patience and heat are the key to NOT tearing the inner seal when removing from the metal cup and with a Yamaha seal listen for a,"Sizzle".

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, once the seals get here I will give it a shot ..... more nervous now that you used the word "sizzle" lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.