Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace the seal using sheps method and have a ? The manual I downloaded shows a rubber seal or contact surface in the back of the impeller the seal contacts.Do I replace this as well and if so where do you get one?Also does it need to be sealed to the impeller with sealer etc.?

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
The parts you need will all be with the mech seal, IE, the mech seal itself and also a white ceramic "polo mint" and it's rubber retainer to fit it to the impellor.

The oddly shaped 'O' ring for the coolant pump cover however is not included but often these are reusable with a thin smear of silicon anyway. The "O' ring for the coolant pipe will probably need replacing also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so the white side goes against the mechanical seal and the black to the impeller is this correct?Hopefully this will be the last coolant leak.

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
Yes, you will see when you have the seal kit in front of you. The rubber cup will fit into the back of the impellor and the white part is a separate piece which fits into it. Any ink marks on the white part go toward the rubber cup.

After installing the white part into the rubber cup give it a wipe with metho or denatured alcohol to remove any skin oils and do not touch it with your fingers again. Give the white part a smear with a bar of soap to prelube it before final assembly.

Use a new copper washer or re-anneal the old one and use a sealant on the dome nut.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Note:The,"Polo Mint" ceramic seal has a flat edge and a chamfered edge,very hard to see but there.The chamfered edge goes towards you when fitted inside it's rubber cup/seal and the flat side into the rubber seal.Then it's pressed into the impeller.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure.I'm getting pretty good at removing the carbs for access.Also 1 thing I did for test running is made a portable tank from a plastic gas can just tapped it for 1/4 pipe and installed a nipple with hose to carbs.Lets me run the bike to check for leaks without reinstalling the stock tank every time.It has come in handy as I have found many leaks so far.But after 20 years of setting what can ya expect? It has definately put fun back into after work time in the man cave again.Compared to the small block chevy's I raced for years these little buggers are a technology marvel.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure.I'm getting pretty good at removing the carbs for access.Also 1 thing I did for test running is made a portable tank from a plastic gas can just tapped it for 1/4 pipe and installed a nipple with hose to carbs.Lets me run the bike to check for leaks without reinstalling the stock tank every time.It has come in handy as I have found many leaks so far.But after 20 years of setting what can ya expect? It has definately put fun back into after work time in the man cave again.Compared to the small block chevy's I raced for years these little buggers are a technology marvel.

Ain't they just

I have a small Aux tank I made out of Redx/Seafoam type stuff Fuel treatment bottle I use for balancing my carbs,

Also I took my angle grinder+Safety goggles/gloves and ground the bracket to make it easier to adjust the idle mixture screws.Great little mod IMHO.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Note:The,"Polo Mint" ceramic seal has a flat edge and a chamfered edge,very hard to see but there.The chamfered edge goes towards you when fitted inside it's rubber cup/seal and the flat side into the rubber seal.Then it's pressed into the impeller.
oH POOP! Sure hope I got the polo the right way around!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I don't know how important the chamfer is but if you think about it the Polo mint rubs against the carbon face of the seal so it doesn't want a hard edge going into soft carbon.The original,"Honda" seals have a blue flash on one side to show orientation.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Well the waterpump thrust washer was missing, had to order one hopefully it is in stock.

If you are talking about the one on the Cam-shaft make 100% certain it's gap has not been obscured by age.People have accidentally fitted two and it will cause the impeller to bind and damage the Water pump cover.I use a hobby knife or scalpel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New thrust washer arrived yesterday,unfortunately have to install fuel pump in my daughter-inlaws car and work on my old truck so my bike will have to wait till later this week.Darn it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.