Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an 82 GL500 with a leak from the mechanical seal.

This part number will work. Yamaha p/n 11H-12438-10 Any 500 or 650 including Turbo, with a 28.28mm mechanical seal aperture.

This part number will not work. Yamaha p/n 11H-12438-10 Any 500 or 650 with a 27mm mechanical seal aperture.

Is there away to know which size seal I need before I open up the rear of the engine.

Thank You.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hello all,

I have an 82 GL500 with a leak from the mechanical seal.

This part number will work. Yamaha p/n 11H-12438-10 Any 500 or 650 including Turbo, with a 28.28mm mechanical seal aperture.

This part number will not work. Yamaha p/n 11H-12438-10 Any 500 or 650 with a 27mm mechanical seal aperture.

Is there away to know which size seal I need before I open up the rear of the engine.

Thank You.

Being an '82, you will need the larger seal. That being said, you can no longer get the 27 mm seal. It was superseded by the 28mm seal. Notice that the part numbers are the same.

However, I strongly urge you to take a look at the shep method of replacing mechanical seals. Doward can also get you a seal for 21 $ shipped

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Being an '82, you will need the larger seal. That being said, you can no longer get the 27 mm seal. It was superseded by the 28mm seal. Notice that the part numbers are the same.

However, I strongly urge you to take a look at the shep method of replacing mechanical seals. Doward can also get you a seal for 21 $ shipped
agree,read here http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Mseal.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll wait and see if Doward reads this before I send a PM.

Let me know if you do have the mechanical seal.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep, I have another shipment of seals on the way, but still have 2 sitting on my shelf. Let me know if you need one!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep, I have another shipment of seals on the way, but still have 2 sitting on my shelf. Let me know if you need one!

Hi Doward, I am needing to do the Shep method on my 79 custom and would like to get a seal from you. Let me know if you have any. Thanks.

also are these the Yamaha seals?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts