Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a mechanical seal on ebay (yamaha part number 11H-12438-00). The inside diameter of the mint ring is 1mm smaller than the outside diameter of the thrust washer and the end of the camshaft. The impeller with the new mint ring in it is not making any contact with the mechanical seal (no springy action) and there is no thread coming out of the impeller to put the crush washer and acorn nut on. Do I just need to pony up for the factory $70 seal or did I order the wrong yamaha seal? I got the part number on a previous posts. A little help would be great, thanks!
Calipers Measuring instrument Gauge Gadget Audio equipment
Camera accessory Plant Reflex camera Cameras & optics Film camera
Calipers Product Measuring instrument Font Material property
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs
Tire Wheel White Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered a new mechanical seal on Murry's for the GL500, would still like to get a response so I know I am on the right track. Thinking the older models maybe had a smaller diameter?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
No part that the seal fits over has changed {excluding the bore in the rear cover} Diameter of camshaft is unaltered across 500 models.

I have never encountered a polo mint with the wrong ID but have run across several where the rubber cup that fits the mint to the impeller interferes with fitment and needed to be trimmed with an Xacto knife.

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No part that the seal fits over has changed {excluding the bore in the rear cover} Diameter of camshaft is unaltered across 500 models.

I have never encountered a polo mint with the wrong ID but have run across several where the rubber cup that fits the mint to the impeller interferes with fitment and needed to be trimmed with an Xacto knife.
The cup and mint fit great in the back of the impeller. With the polo mint ID 1mm smaller than the OD of the thrust washer and shaft, it must be improper specs on the particular one I ordered. I will move on to prepping my frame for paint and get back to the engine after I get more parts in. Thank you for the response!

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
You've got a good memory Mike.

The source of said seals should be divulged to prevent others ending up with unusable seals. Perhaps a 'don't buy these' type general thread to pin in general discussion. Trouble with that approach are the numerous things already pinned there.

The seal type is a 1/2 inch type 3. 1/2 inch being the shaft clearance. At 12.7 this ,mint is 1/2 inch but the original must be 1/2 inch plus clearance. This may be metric 12 mm + shaft clearance. To some 12 - 13 mm appear to be interchangable with 1/2". Depends which way you're going.

Don't know what this one would be.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,259 Posts
I wonder if the Yamaha engine has a smaller shaft, so more tolerance, and vendors are selling Yamaha-compatible seals under the stock part number.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The first mechanical seal I bought for my Silverwing was the correct Yamaha part # and I purchased on Ebay and it did not fit. I never researched it, I just bought one from Murray instead and chalked that one up as me getting what I deserve for trying to be a cheapskate.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
When I've bought them from Yamaha dealers online in the past, they've been correct. But that's no guarantee, not knowing where they might be sourcing them these days.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
I too have successfully used Yamaha seal, bought from a dealer. Perhaps there are some counterfeit parts out and about on eBay.

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you go on Ebay and just search "cx500 mechanical seal" or "GL500 mechanical seal", you get a number of options from $13 to $25 from China. I probably should have just searched that instead of looking for the Yamaha counterpart. Regardless of where Murry's, it is no doubt the correct one, it is $17.50 and $3 for shipping.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
What matters is the part from Murray is already vetted.

Reactions: cbxmoe

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
If the seller said it would fit your bike (or any other CX/GL500/650 model) I would let the seller know that it wouldn't fit. Most eBay sellers would rather replace a defective part or give you a refund than have negative feedback.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Whenever I inform an ebay seller that a part doesn't fit a particular application the reply is generally the same.

"Our supplier says the fitment is correct" - and then go on listing it.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
I buy my seals directly from a company that makes them but recently did buy 2 from ebay on the recommendation of a member of the Oz forum.

I haven't fitted them yet but they directly compare with the dimensions of the seals I generally use so should be OK.

They were cheap so I took a punt.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
If the seller won't accept that their supplier made a mistake send them pics that show it is wrong and if that doesn't convince them report the listing to eBay and leave them really bad feedback so that they will learn.

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the seller won't accept that their supplier made a mistake send them pics that show it is wrong and if that doesn't convince them report the listing to eBay and leave them really bad feedback so that they will learn.
11H-12438-10-00, 11H-12438-00-00 are the part #'s on the listing. I got this part # off of a post here that clearly stated that it was a yamaha #. I blame this one on myself squarely. All I had to do was search mechanical seal for my bike and I would have bought a different seal. So I just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. I have the right one on the way from Murry's and I have plenty of other things to work on before it arrives!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts