Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I need a mechanical seal for my 1980 cx 500. I look on ebay and there are 3 for around $20. They however are listed as for a 1982-1983 cx 500 650 and 650T. These must be different. I then go to honda parts barn and search for my seal, and the one that comes up is listed for all....1978 -1983 cx500.....are they the same? The part numbers are different, but would it work?

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
They aren't the same.

Honda discontinued the seal that was for some of the bikes. In the later models a seal cup 1mm larger was used. That's what's selling from honda or on ebay.

The guts inside the cup are the same size so we have been removing the guts and gluing them into the cup stuck in the engine already after it's clean.

What you're really asking about is how to do the Shep method for mechanical seal.

The other way it to pull the engine down and open it up and widen the hole with a flapper wheel. The difference is about 6 hours in time and the cost of a rear cover gasket and possibly other gaskets or seal in the engine.

The shep method is way cheaper.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
So, what your saying is, I have to do the shep method and the seal on ebay will work.

Yes.The inners will work,it was only the metal cup and rear engine case hole it fits in that changed but we don't use the metal cup(We leave the old one in place) so no worries

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Then I'll get one of these and move forward. I noticed the list of people getting together to buy seals. Are there that many bikes getting repaired or do they not last real long and should have to expect to be doing this again in the future?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
They can last over 100,000 miles or more.They only appear to fail because people get these bikes and the bikes have been stood for anything from a a few months to 20 years+

Then the seals dry out and become brittle and if the coolant as gone like this,

What do you think the rest of the cooling system components are like

Check out this long running CX,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=289

No mech seal replaced at that point in it's life

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Doward has done a fine job getting a,"Group" buy and there's not much in it but it's good to have several sources just in case.

We all actually have to thank an obscure post I found about 6 years ago from an Australian bloke called,

Buff7454

Who still posts on the Aus forum from time to time.

It was he who put me onto the Davy irrigation pump seals that I'm convinced Honda actually bought/used.I then found the Aesseal

http://www.aesseal.co.uk/

Company a couple of years later.

Some of these Honda suppliers ask silly money for these seals.One on UK Ebay was about a 300% mark-up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.