Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISSUE: Seal sent was too big.

EMAIL SENT:: I recently purchased a few items from you guys for my 1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe, but specifically the Mechanical Seal (1921711000) isn't the same size as my original seal. It is bigger by 30,000th of an inch (.03).

REPLY:: Hello Paul. Thank you for your e-mail. Yes this is common problem fitting these. Are you fitting this part yourself? If so I would advise to take it to your local bike mechanic who will have the correct tool to fit this. Sorry for the trouble this part is causing.

ANYONE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE???

I called them and they told me I have to press it. I told them I'm a mechanic and I have the tools to do so.. then he continues to tell me 'I can stick the rear end in the oven to heat it, and stick the seal in the fridge to cool it, then try to stick it in.' That sounded like crap..

·
Registered
24,209 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Drill and a Harbor Freight Flap wheel. Took me about 20 minutes.

Flap a little, measure.
Flap a little, measure.
Flap a little, measure.
A-ha, close enough.

Press the bugger in, and start wrenching on something else.

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
I've seen 81 500's with the smaller seal and 82 500's with the larger seal. Both have the same replacement part number shown in the parts fiche.

I think the change occurred in late 81 or early 82. I do not believe the change was made on a model year boundary.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,149 Posts
The changover was.... sometime in 81.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the changover time though. All I can say is that the earlier the bike was built in 81 the more likely it is to take the smaller seal.

I still suspect these motors came out of more than one factory and the change wasn't made by all at the same time, perhaps with one using up the remaining seal stocks while the other changed over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts