Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible or totally wrong to glue in mechanical seal (for coolant impeller) into place after rear cover is reinstalled? I have old housing and new seal.

I messed up works order and didnt installed new seal.

Does anyone try to do it?
or is it better to remove back cover and to install seal first?

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,094 Posts
I had to replace original mech seal on 650,, it was part of a complete restoration of all elements inside rear cover,, a quintuple bypass! I'm not a Shep guy,,, there is an oil seal associated with the mech seal on the water pump which also needs replacement. It seems to me that stopgap measures in mechanical systems are often more temporary than one might hope.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,094 Posts
And working in tight quarters to do Step method looks worse to me than removing motor with my rolling engine jack. I'm not into mechanical pursuits for money,, it's the satisfaction of doing things to the best of my ability in the manner that yields the most long lasting results. ✌

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
Read it again: He forgot to install the seal before he put the cover on and wants to know if he can do it after or needs to open it up again. No tight quarters of removing the engine involved.

But as for Shep method vs removing the engine, it depends on your setup. For a naked bike the hardest part of removing the engine is disconnecting everything and re-connecting it all afterward but in my case, between having to remove the fairing (the bracket prevents the engine hangers from coming off) & disconnect the rad (moved next to the sidecar, attached to the fairing bracket) and remove the sidecar subframe (bolted to the bottom of the engine) it takes me several hours to get the engine out so you can bet I would choose not to if I can avoid it.

·
Super Moderator
21,620 Posts
On a twinshock CX500 access for the shep method is pretty good after removal of the seat, tank and carbs.

Your 650 may be different. I've never actually seen a CX650C.

Actually .... I have .... sort of.

I've worked on a CX400C which was basically the same bike but it was years ago now.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,094 Posts
It's pretty tight in there for my big hands,,, would have to remove coolant tank also to even get close to the work area. I was just leary of my being able to successfully complete job using Shep method but is moot now since I had to remove cover for stator and all. It wasn't weeping from hole but was obviously not far from it and oil seal was leaking a tiny amount by the appearance of the area. Definitely can't Step both seals.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
I haven't tried it but some claim to have replaced the oil seal through the mechanical seal hole (note that Shep's original method was for replacing the entire seal - including the cup - with the engine in the frame and leaving the old cup in was developed as an alternative to boring the early ones out to accept the larger seal).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts