Honda CX 500 Forum banner

mech seals for folk this side of the pond

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JC 
#1 ·
I know Doward is offering these for guys stateside but as we know

trans atlantic postage can often take the shine off a deal.

I've been doing some research today and found various prices

Fowlups my local Honda/Yamaha dealer wants £19.57 for the Yamaha seal

I didn't dare ask how much the Honda one was, probably double that.

Wemoto want £24.19 for a pattern seal

David Silvers £29

CMSNL 53 Euros ( £ 44.86)

This guy wants £9.50 plus 1.75 postage

for the later Honda/Yamaha seal

Not bad at all eh?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170583585211&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

See less See more
#3 ·
Whoah There !!

Hang fire chaps!

I've just been chatting to TrevH about them and it turns out he's been given a seal

to examine we think is one of these Ebay ones above (from Middlesbrough) and he has some reservations.

He's found the overall height from the bottom of the can to the ceramic face is

visibly shorter than the other seal he has.

Also, the ceramic polo mint and its boot would take a worrying amount of effort to get it to sit in the impellor.

Forcing it in may crack the ceramic and it may creep out and lift on one side losing

face to face contact.

He's going to let me know when he's had time to examine it more fully.

At the moment he can only compare it to a Davy seal the MCC got from Australia

One thing we agreed was that it would be most useful to know the dimensions of an actual Honda seal ( the later 28mm type ) to use as a baseline.

With these dimensions we could compare the alternative seals

To be honest, if I needed a mech seal I'd probably go to fowlups and buy the Yamaha one

for peace of mind.

Heres a pic of a mech seal

If anyone has an original Honda 28mm type and can accurately fill in the dimensions, that would be very helpful in finding cheaper alternatives.

#4 ·
Reg,

I have measured the pattern seal from e-bay which states in the ad. that it will fit the Yamaha and the later type Honda.

A= 28.70mm B= 15.50mm C= 8.80mm D= 13.95mm ( measured at polo internal dia)E= 25.50mm F= 4.00mm G= 23.08mm

Measurement A is the same size as the Davey seal , so I know that will press in, the issue with the polo mint being a tight fit in the impellor recess is due to the thickness of the rubber cup it sits in i.e E minus G using the old Honda cup it will fit.

If anyone has access to a new Honda seal we could compare the dimensions.

#8 ·
I've looked at the aes (Pontypridd) site Shep and also found them on Vulcan seals ( type 70/75) in Sheffield too

Thas the Thing, I reckon theres a chance we could find suitable mech seals in the UK without paying through the nose

for Honda prices, postage amd customs.

We've started comparing notes on the On Yer Bike! forum.

One reservation with AES and Vulcan is the overall length looks nominally shorter than the Davy seal

as well as the worrying tightness fitting the polo mint.

This may be resolvable, I dont know as yet thats why a bit of research would help.

As for imports.

The MCC caught a cold when they bought a stock of Davy seals from OZ due to customs charges

and even if they had any, they're only available to members, not the likes of you and me

I'd like to find a UK source available to anyone.

#10 ·
Hi folks. New guy here. I've had my CX for about a year now. I've been lurking in all the various CX forums from time to time.

I know this topic has been discussed much. I need to do the mech seal replacement as it seems many have had to do. So far I've just been driving it because the leak is so slow it doesn't bother much. Sometime in the next few months before the snow fly's again I'd like to give the "Shep" method a try and get her all buttoned up and no leaks.

So does the AESSEAL work for the "Shep" method? I found a local supplier and I can get it for around $15 USD.

This is the info I got from the local supplier about the seal.

N-B03-ABX1-0127

B03-0.500/13MM CARB/CER/N COMPLETE

Thanks!

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.