Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess I didn't read everything that all of you have written closely enough. I figured since I had the engine out I would replace the entire thing. Apparently removing the metal cup is ill advised.

This would be fine except that I've been banging on it trying to get it out, which is going nowhere. I do fear that I have mangled it though and probably need to get it out. Any ideas??

I say mangled because the back of it has a dip in it and the fronts is bent someone between a bit and a lot.

So can I get it out?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
If you've got the engine out, it's the correct and easy way to do it.

Put a socket or piece of pipe which fits in the hole behind the metal cup, put the open end over a vice or a couple pieces of wood to give the cup space to pop out, a few good whacks and it should come right out.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Meatal and aluminum sometimes gets melding together try a bit of heat and some crc to loosen it up

By design the metal cup is an,"Interference" fit.This means the cup diameter is slightly larger than the hole.Normally it's fitted by freezing/cooling the mechanical seal and then dropping into a pre-heated rear case.

To do this all parts must be removed from the rear case before placing in an oven.The procedure is tedious and contains it's own dangers.

Some people have made pullers to put-press a new seal in but even some of these have failed and ruined rear engine cases or the mechanical seals.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Relax, this is not near the problem it may seem like now.

You mentioned the engine is out, but has the rear engine cover been removed? It is not hard to press out the old seal and press in a new seal if the rear cover is off but extremely difficult otherwise.

There is absolutely no need to heat or cool anything. I use a piece of threaded rod, some flat washers, nuts, and sockets. Works great, and has been done on many bikes.

Some folks use PVC pipe bits instead of the sockets - same basic idea.

This photo shows the Honda tool used to replace mechanical seals.

In my opinion, pressing in a complete new mechanical seal is the preferred method. I'll only replace just the innards if there is no other reason to pull the engine.

Some of the earlier 500 engines do have a fit problem with the available replacement seals and need to have the bore enlarged slightly for a new seal to be pressed in. But your 650 should have no issues at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.