Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i searched master cylinders and have spent the night reading all pertinent information i could find.

one recommended is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0417764585&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

but i think its ugly as F*#k and will look weird on my bike.

this one has also been recommended

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110688918556

and theres also a few others.

what is the best replacement IYHO (in your humble opinion) for a 1980 cx500 custom with single disc and single piston.

also, where are you guys getting your steel cables and what information do i need to know inorder to get the right one. since i run clip ons i know mine will have to be much shorter, but what other stuff (connection wise) so i need to know inorder to get the right one.

thanks for any help u guys can give

nieds

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Stainless Steel Brake Lines - U.S. Source

JDA Enterprises http://www.jdaent.com/

Email ([email protected]) or Call (530-365-8400) Craig Raudman

(most of this stuff is in the General Discussion section under Quick Reference)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm using the 12.7 bore MC. Feels great compared to stock, but only after I fixed the pesky pad spring in my caliper, so I probably can't give a perfect comparison. I'm about to head to class so I can't link to the thread, but do a bit more searching and you may be able to find the one I'm talking about.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I just ordered a set of brake lines from JDA as recommended above. Great customer service, excellent product, and arrived in 2.5 days. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have that first one on three of my bikes now. I do have to tweak the reservoir to match the angle of the bars, but IMHO I love them. I also have steel braided lines on all three bikes and they all stop almost as well as my race prepped RC51 (crotch rocket). If you don't think the style jives with your bike, then find one that does. I have experimented with probably 20 cylinders differing from CRF450R masters to VT1100C masters and they all worked. Some had slightly different pull lengths and some had better lever feel, but they all worked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im going to get the SS lines, and i think im going to get the caliper rebuild kit bc if i remember correctly the rubber pieces were shot. I guess my only question is to go with 12.7 or 14mm bore size. there seems to be some opposing opinions out there on whether smaller bore is better. some say that the OG 14mm was meant for the dual piston calipers and since i only have one piston idk what that means for me. Ive also heard that having a smaller bore means ull have more travel in the lever. Ive read so much about this topic its all muddling together. i think the MC and line i have on the bike right now might be OEM. I also remember that my braking always scared me a little bc it didnt seem very good. Id like to get the best that i can get.

nieds

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the first one as well. I wanted the remote reservoir so I could tweak it also. The cap is shiny the sun reflects off it and is distracting. The lever feels like a POS Chinese toy. It doesn't have a mirror hole if that matters to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same master as philbrewer on my 82 cx with a dual piston and it feels great! I'm bidding on the one that phil linked to for my GL, he usually keeps two up for auction at the same time or you can BIN for $50.

Andy

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have the whole system off a 80 Deluxe (stock, excluding disc) ready to install with fresh innards and a new reservoir cup. I think all the parts were $56.00.

If interested, make me an offer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.