Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, May 21, departure AM time tba, but probably 9 or 10 AM. Missoula down 93 to Lolo, West on Idaho 12 along the Lochsa River, Lewiston, Up 95 through Moscow to Coeur D'Alene. Then an "iron-butt" speed run along 90 from Coeur D'Alene back to Missoula.

CX Customs and our small tanks: Plan on bringing a gas can, as there are several stretches which will strand us if the gas pumps don't work. Example: Lochsa Lodge on Idaho 12 to Lowell segment. If Lowell has no running gas pump, only Triple-A or your gas can can save you. Very Scenic. Must be careful of Idaho speed limits though. Speeding tickets are revenue-generating.

Long Distance Riders: Plan upon staying free-of-charge at my Place near downtown Missoula.

EASTERN WA Riders: I can support you guys on the Speed Run Eastwards from Coeur D'Alene. I would suggest you plan a Friday night run to Missoula, and spend the night at my place. Coeur D'Alene is 185 miles to where I live. Friday night, I could meet you at the Idaho-Montana border @ Lookout Pass, and bring you the 104 to 106 miles in. Then during the big Saturday Loop, when we are coming into Coeur D'Alene at the 90 intersection, you guys would exit Westward to go home, while the rest of us would head East to complete the loop. Just a thought.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, it's my favorite part of the car.

The Excellerator? Your fav part of the car? Huh. Well, I think the engine is my fav part of the car. Especially with "Fugly." Fugly is a 1974 Super Beetle with an engine I hand-built. And she is getting dual IDF-44 carbs. And I'm going to need to rebuild the Transaxle soon. If I don't beef-up the Transaxle, the roughly doubled engine power will twist that transaxle apart like pulling hard on either side of a pretzel.

Hopefully, you get get the day off of work the Saturday of the ride. And if you are coming from Spokane, I'd suggest we meet in either Saint Regis, or Lookout Point on Friday night. As we get closer, I'll PM send you my cell phone number so we can communicate.

And I presume other Eastern Washingon CX owners will chime-in soon?

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The Excellerator? Your fav part of the car? Huh. Well, I think the engine is my fav part of the car. Especially with "Fugly." Fugly is a 1974 Super Beetle with an engine I hand-built. And she is getting dual IDF-44 carbs. And I'm going to need to rebuild the Transaxle soon. If I don't beef-up the Transaxle, the roughly doubled engine power will twist that transaxle apart like pulling hard on either side of a pretzel.

Hopefully, you get get the day off of work the Saturday of the ride. And if you are coming from Spokane, I'd suggest we meet in either Saint Regis, or Lookout Point on Friday night. As we get closer, I'll PM send you my cell phone number so we can communicate.

And I presume other Eastern Washingon CX owners will chime-in soon?

Montana Clifford

Cliff,

Just put a bus transaxle in the Beetle ... then your worries will be over! At one time in my life I had nine air-cooled VWs at once. I used to know as much about them as I do GLs now.
My favorite was the '71 bus I had. The last year of the Beetle engine and the first year of disk brakes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh Yeah, air cooled VW"s are terrific. My car in high school was a 70' Bug. Added dual Solex's, 009 distributor, Bugpack exhaust. Talk about bang for the buck. I know what you mean David, I carried a Uni-syn carb balancer under my seat.

That's going to be a potent combo MC, I used to go to the local auto cross and watch a guy with a Ghia and a similar set up. Sounded like it had anger management problems. They used to have a great car show in Missoula at the fairgrounds. Do they still do that?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still quite Nipple-y here in Montana. Most mornings are frozen. Afternoon rides are none-to-warm. But give it some weeks, and we will climb out of the cold, while taking winter kicking and screaming into springtime.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They used to have a great car show in Missoula at the fairgrounds. Do they still do that?

The car show is today and tomorrow. And they moved it to the Southgate Shopping Center Parking Lot. It probably had zero cost. And for some reason, the local Chevrolet Dealership (Karl Tyler Motors) imported and ran a competing car show in their parking lot. I drove past and saw a lot of old Chevrolets. Unknown why the Karl Tyler thing had to be at a different venue. Probably politics.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
373 Posts
The car show is today and tomorrow. And they moved it to the Southgate Shopping Center Parking Lot. It probably had zero cost. And for some reason, the local Chevrolet Dealership (Karl Tyler Motors) imported and ran a competing car show in their parking lot. I drove past and saw a lot of old Chevrolets. Unknown why the Karl Tyler thing had to be at a different venue. Probably politics.

Montana Clifford
Really? We used to go to one in July. Still to cold here to get the bike out or go to a car show. I felt like I was taking a chance starting the garden.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Got the May Schedule for work. Looks like I won't be able to make this one. I would really like to make it over to Montana sometime though. Snowed very hard here today, hopefully we will get some good weather soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the May Schedule for work. Looks like I won't be able to make this one. I would really like to make it over to Montana sometime though. Snowed very hard here today, hopefully we will get some good weather soon.

Snow Flurries most days here too this week. But we are 1 month away from this event, fortunately. Since there are only [3 participants minus 1 = 2 participants] so-far, would it make it any better if we tried to move it from Satuday to Sunday, the next day? Just curious.

Montana

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately I am on 24 hour call and have to stick somewhat close to work. Usually we rotate and take one week turns, now with the downsizing and do more with less business model it can go on for a week or two, on the plus side the money is good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. I *might* have my bike back together by then, it's torn apart while I repaint and do some adjustments. Not sure what the weather will be looking like near the end of May but hopefully it will be better than it is now!

I'll definitely keep the thread posted if I will be able to make it or not. Taking a this bike that I am building up on a long trip is kinda scary since I don't really know the engine history. I bought it for $250 and it's a rebuilt salvage but it runs strong so far. I've ridden it about 130 miles with no probs yet, might need a bit of carb cleaning though...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here in a month or two, I'll have 2 running and rideable CX500's. Now I doubt the 79 CX500-Deluxe seat will have been reupholstered until way later in the summer. Budgets and all that.

Why 2 bikes? Well, I have friends and family who drive or fly out to visit. So besides the cheap $200 purchase price from Forum member TIMK in Oregon (for the 79 CX500-Deluxe), theres also my wish to let visitors ride about the Montana Rockies with me to see the sights. Woo-hoo! That would also mean those whose bikes are in-repair, would still be able to ride, if the owner were able to get here to Missoula. Woo-hoo again!

My 80 CX500-Custom and its gas tank limitation is an annoyance. But both bikes now have Vetter Fairings.

Montana "accommodating Joe" Clifford

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yesterday was beautiful and warm over here in Spokane....relatively, haha. Pained me to no end that my bike is in peices for repainting and I couldn't ride. :-(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There will be time for riding.

Weather is great here. And a rode all the way to Phillipsburg for an Ice Cream cone! Na na na na nannnnnnn nahhh.

I know. That was childish of me. But it felt gooooood!

It's supposed to rain here on Sunday. !?

Montana "Hasn't been pounded into the dirt by MechaJubei....yet" Clifford

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.