Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a newbie here, so I apologize in advance for some basic and trivial questions.. .) I will start new build thread later but first I need some quick tip from you, dear CX Jedi knights..

Please, what is the maximum width of the front and rear tyre I can put on? In the user manual, they say that 3.25inches and 3.75inches should be chosen as a front/rear tyre.

Can I go for 3.5 (3.75 eventually) and 4 (4.25) for front/rear?

I am bit worrying about smooth tyre spinning around the swingarm..

Can anyone pls give me some advice?..

thanks a lot

Bert

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It helps if you post which bike model you have but I think this one boils down to the same issue, over and over.
Going larger on the rear tire stands the chance of giving you interference problems with he swing arm. Even if it doesn't hit while it's on the stand, it can heat up and expand, which can lead to your tire wearing abnormally and causing you a safety issue. Different tire manufacturers have different tolerances, so you may get away with fitting some manufacturers tires of a larger size but not others.
Take a minute to search the forum for tires. This question comes up quite often, so there will be lots of discussion on it. The end advice is always the same - stick with the standard sizes, unless you prefer to do some costly research.

Good luck

John

·
Registered
807 Posts
From all that I've read and all that I can find, without cutting and modifying the rear swing arm a 130-90-16 or MT90-16 is the largest rear that will fit. I just had a very similar post on here and the Global CX/GL site. Now the front is a little different. If you don't care to run the stock front fender or a fender on the front at all you may be able to run a 120-70-19. That being said, a good set of tires at the proper size will take you around the corner and down the street better than trying to over stuff the wheel wells. I've seen post by other members who say the bikes handling is negatively affected with too much tire. I personally haven't tried a bigger front tire because it only took a couple of rides without a front fender to convince me to put the fender back on. Any moisture on the road became a rooster tail of water spraying me in the face. Hard to ride like that.

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/Thomas_Everett_Hudson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/795e0fb2-34e3-4553-bcca-8d177b749348_zps6fb02e98.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is your intention of a wider tire?

better cornering?
better straight line?
appearance?

Eh, you got me.. )) I think I am more appearance guy than crazy cornering one (I am still scary to put a knee on the tarmac :) So thats why I want to choose something little bit more robust.. but not so much.. maybe 0.25" bigger.. so I think 3.5 and 4.00 would be ok for me.. I reeaally like the Firestone Champion DLX old design but those are way too expensive..

I saw so many different sizes and designs on CX that I've just got lost and couldnt make any conclusion..

I think I will stick with Avon Road rider.. a they have plenty of sizes so that's why I am asking for.. Cause I like a bit bigger (fatter) rubbers...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Can I go for 3.5 (3.75 eventually) and 4 (4.25) for front/rear?

I get it that you own an early (1978 or -79) standard model. Those were spec.d with 3.25 x 19 and 3.75 x 18. Later 3.25 x 19 front and 4.00 x 18 rear. I´ve read that the rear rim was marginally wider at the same time, allowing the fatter rear.

I´m no expert on how different tire choices - dimensions etc. affect the bike´s behaviour, but a set of new Avon Roadriders 3.25 front and 4.00 rear some years ago made a huge difference from the old, worn same dimension Roadrunners that were on. I´ve never had a knee in the tarmac and don´t especially want to, either, but my bike felt much more agile and safe with the new "shoes".

On a different bike I had (SRX 600) a deliberate swap to marginally narrower tires than specified (a bike mag recommended to do that) made the bike corner significantly quicker and sharp. So fat isn´t always best..

Roadriders wear out faster than the old Roadrunners did, but so far I can live with that.

/Sture

Reactions: SRay8993

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Now the front is a little different. If you don't care to run the stock front fender or a fender on the front at all you may be able to run a 120-70-19.
Only if you have a death wish. The lower the profile, the wider the rim requirement. If you try to shovel a tire that big onto a rim that small, you are inviting disaster.
That bead will never seat properly, and the carcass will be so badly warped, the bike will only be good for riding in a straight line.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Only if you have a death wish. The lower the profile, the wider the rim requirement. If you try to shovel a tire that big onto a rim that small, you are inviting disaster.
That bead will never seat properly, and the carcass will be so badly warped, the bike will only be good for riding in a straight line.
I'd listen to this guy. the absolute last thing you want is sketchy handling. I have a Avon Cobra 110-90-19 on the front and ordered a new Avon Cobra MT90-16 (130-90-16) rear. You might have the 18" rear wheel and need a different tire altogether. Sorry if I led you astray.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
So, Bert. It really comes down to the following.................

Do you want to give up performance, handling and safety for the look of a slightly wider tire?

Personally, I'd suggest to stay with the standard tire sizes recommended for this bike. The Honda engineers actually knew what they were doing when these bikes were designed.

Good luck with your decision. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am happily running this tyre on my 1980 CX 500 without handling, deforming or clearance issues...
[h=1]PIRELLI SPORT DEMON TIRE, REAR, 130/70-18 63H[/h]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to all of you guys, I'll consider all pros and cons and hope I'll choose them wisely.. )

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
But maybe they are wrong..

I believe so. They don´t know the whole story,, Neither do I, but:

I´ve owned a handful of 1981 standard models and looked many more "in the mouth". Black anodized reverse Comstars. One of mine is now shod with a set of 1980 wheels (plain Comstars) for better looks. The 1981 registration documents all said 4.00 x 18 rear. The same dimension also goes for 1980 model (metal finish rims missing the black plastic "spoke tabs"). The first model had those tabs and AFAIK slightly narrower rear rim.

No big deal, though.

/Sture

1 - 16 of 16 Posts