Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that we have riders that just run around town and ones that cross countries but what's the max mileage you intend to put on your bike in a single round trip this season. Round trip could be a one day ride. Weekend to a far away place or a month across country.

Mine is 1000 miles. I'm not sure if I'm going to ride to any more distant areas beyond that this season but I did just short of a 1000 miles going up to Minneapolis and back for the Twin Cities Ride and then a month later I did 1000 miles going from Milwaukee to just short of the Detroit area in 9 days.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My backside is pretty sore after about 5 hours on the bike. I could see putting some miles on a trip like that, but only in short stints...150 miles a day or something. I think it would be nice to load up the bike with camping gear and go, with no particular destination. That would be a good trip.

·
Registered
801 Posts
In mid July the wife and I did a 2 day trip, Rode the North Cascade Hiway Loop 435 Miles

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
As I'd started describing on the old forum (and will shortly continue here) my friend and I rode from Kitchener,

Ontario to West Vancouver, BC and back in July. That totalled about 9500km, or 5900 miles. It also totalled my knees and my butt.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
In mid July the wife and I did a 2 day trip, Rode the North Cascade Hiway Loop 435 Miles

I think I'd ride up and down that road a few times just to take in that Magnificent view.The mountains aren't bad either<grin>

PS

I mean the bikes

·
Registered
255 Posts
Another good one is the Olympic National Park loop on highway 101 and about 450 miles depending on how many side trips are taken. I have done it in a car but have not had a chance to ride the GL on the loop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Milady and I just got back from a trip up to Darby MT on July 29th.

2200 miles in 12 days. a great trip.

She was a trooper on a CMX450c. My GL650swi was quite happy, but that "big" Rebel was a bit taxed.

That was our long trip this year, but we hope to pull off a few 200-300 mile trips before the end of the year.

and I have a 1200 mile off road ride coming up soon.

time to really get on the stick with the ADV build.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The 850 mile in a day ride that I did with Mike back from the Amish ride about did me in a few years back.

Okay Thom, where are you??? Over 30,000 in one year ...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Two weeks ago I did 450 mile round trip in one day to visit a friend in Southern Illinois. I will never do that again without a throttle lock.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
With my new job taking up almost all of my time and energy, I have not been able to travel like I used to. I miss the long trips a lot. I am going to ride the Amish this week, but at only 150 miles each way it doesn't really qualify as a long trip.

Since purchasing my GL650I a year and a half ago I have taken some longish rides from my home near Philadelphia PA. Longest was a trip to see my mom in Wisconsin, with a side trip into Minnesota and Iowa. Longest one day ride on that trip was from Pittsburgh PA to Madison Wisconsin, or about 600 and some odd miles. Total miles for that trip was around 3000 miles.

I also took two trips down to TWO in Georgia, the first time doing the 800 miles down in one shot and the second trip stopping at Phil's before continuing on to the rain drenched Georgia mountains together. I stayed at Phil's a couple of days for my gear to dry out on the way back. I rode twice more to North Carolina to Phil's house, about 500 miles away, one of which included continuing on to the BRMC rally an additional 230 miles down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Iron and I took the ride up to the Vermont rally at Rich's cabin together, about 400 miles or so each way. Other assorted all day solo rides in my area brought my total to around 22,000 miles on the old SilverWing.

Here are some pics from the first TWO trip, The BRMC, and Vermont:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think my max round trip this summer on the bike has been only about 200 miles... no one to ride with to make a long trip more fun, and I really am not a fan of freeway driving! I love the bike for 55mph back country roads though

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I know that we have riders that just run around town and ones that cross countries but what's the max mileage you intend to put on your bike in a single round trip this season. Round trip could be a one day ride. Weekend to a far away place or a month across country.

Mine is 1000 miles. I'm not sure if I'm going to ride to any more distant areas beyond that this season but I did just short of a 1000 miles going up to Minneapolis and back for the Twin Cities Ride and then a month later I did 1000 miles going from Milwaukee to just short of the Detroit area in 9 days.
So, I was right. You will not be accompanying David to the HTTA Amish rally in PA

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I was right. You will not be accompanying David to the HTTA Amish rally in PA

You are correct I will not be accompanying David. When I put in for the time off work they said that I could only do it Monday-Friday and not Wednesday-Tuesday. There's a new woman in charge so I'm going to see if she will let me do it next year as personal days and not paid vacation.

From the sounds of it David might not be coming.

I am leaving on Wednesday for the Amish Rally if I’m not called for training, if I get the new job.

But then again that doesn't mean anything since companies can be picky now that it seems everyone is looking for work.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom,

Glad to see you made your way in. I was starting to think that Dave and I would have to drive over to your place and help you get set up here. Never leave a man behind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts