Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just busted the two screws holding the reservoir top on....guess I'm going to need a new reservoir now.

Are there any of the round/remote ones that are compatible? Or am I basically stuck with the stock rectangle? Found one on partsnmore for $30ish, but that's it so far. haven't done much looking...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Breaking off the master cylinder cover screws is common but it doesn't mean you have to scrap it.

First you have to get the plastic reservoir off. Use two screwdrivers underneath to pry it up. It'll be really hard to get off and will seem like you're going to break it but it will come. With the plastic reservoir off you now have access to the screws.

If there is some of the screw shaft still showing you can heat it up with a torch, douse it with penetrating oil, repeat, and then try unscrewing it with vice grips. If the screw is broken off flush, you can drill out the old screw and retap the hole. I've done the master cylinder retap on several bikes and you do have to be careful as there's not much metal around the screw holes.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mine came with a Suzuki round and no problems. You can have it for shipping costs if I can find it.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breaking off the master cylinder cover screws is common but it doesn't mean you have to scrap it.

First you have to get the plastic reservoir off. Use two screwdrivers underneath to pry it up. It'll be really hard to get off and will seem like you're going to break it but it will come. With the plastic reservoir off you now have access to the screws.

If there is some of the screw shaft still showing you can heat it up with a torch, douse it with penetrating oil, repeat, and then try unscrewing it with vice grips. If the screw is broken off flush, you can drill out the old screw and retap the hole. I've done the master cylinder retap on several bikes and you do have to be careful as there's not much metal around the screw holes.

Hmm, might have to try that. Don't think I'll go as far as retapping though. The reservoir is pretty crummy looking and you can barely see the fluid level.

If there is no shaft left, would I be able to rotate the res? Basically to see if there's anything left without removing it...

Marshall, if you find it let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
In the bottom center of the master cylinder brake reservoir is a nipple with an o-ring on it. The reservoir merely plugs in but somehow over time, it gets hard to pull back out. To answer your question, yes the reservoir should be able to rotate if the screws are out or broken off flush with the metal.

Procedure for drilling out small screws and retapping the hole

1. If the broken off screw is sticking out a little bit, file the stub perfectly flat. If broken screw is below the mother metal, then use a Dremel grinder to shape the broken end into symmetrical geometry. The idea here is to have a surface good enough so the drill bit doesn't walk.

2. Use a sharp center punch and small hammer to make an indentation exactly in the center of the stub.

3. Drill a 1/16” hole through the center of the screw. Be sure that you’re drilling straight through the screw axis. A helper can assist in sighting the drill at the proper angle. If you use a sharp drill bit, it will drill quickly and easily.

4. Next pick a larger drill bit that is an angstrom less in diameter than the minor diameter of the screw and redrill the hole. At this point sometimes the remainder of the screw comes right out with the other shavings.

5. Now it’s time to check a drill & tap chart to select the proper drill bit. Once you decide what size screw you’re going to use, go to a hardware store – many of them sell taps with the proper tap drill in a package for around $5.

6. Use the tap drill to size the hole.

7. Tap the thread. I recommend also buying a tap handle instead of using a small Crescent wrench. All you do is screw the tap into the hole, pushing in while you twist. Use plenty of oil as you’re twisting and frequently back out the tap to clear debris.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's hosed. As soon as I touched the remaining bits of the screws they snapped right off.

I don't think I want to go through the trouble of retapping.

BTW, what is with the rubber thing inside the reservoir? Seems like it would stop the fluid from going anywhere? I put the res back on and couldn't get any fluid into the line until I removed the rubber thing. Currently the res and its top are being held on by electrical tape.

Time to find something to substitute. Lots of sportbike options on the 'bay, but then I'd lose my mirror. eventually I want different mirrors anyway, but that kinda screws me for now.

Guess I'll hold off on the new bars til I get this taken care of.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.