Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking for the performance ( horsepower / torque ) values for my CX500 Turbo.

So instead of looking on the internet I decided to look into my owners manual, it's not there

Then my maintenance manual also no performance data for the bike.

So which official Honda documents exists which gives these values ?

Sale brochures ?

If so are there differences to be found between them ?

If someone has official Honda documents can he or she give me the performance figures and the source

Pim

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I think you will find performance figures in cycle magazines of the model introduction time period. These are good because they are actual, and bad because they represent data from (usually) only one bike on a certain day or span of days. Also, the rider(s) opinions are often included, for better or worse. Also keep in mind that cycle mags often paint as rosy a picture as possible to please their advertisers. But then, don't we also paint in bright colors?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know Honda Nederland BV is located in amsterdam - try there first. also any magazines with archives may well have an old dyno chart as this was a common thing to do in those days. I know on the australian forum there used to be a press article of a CX500D test with a dyno chart, and 1/8 standing start accell tests, but I have not seen that for the turbo

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
If you go to Google Books and do a search, you can get references from magazines of the day.

Here's the chart from a Popular Mechanics article on the CX500 Turbo:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both CX500TC and CX650TC have different value depend on the destination: North America and Europe.

European models have larger value than North American.

CX500TC

North America 78ps 7.5kg

Europe 82ps 8.2kg

CX650TC

North America 97ps

Europe 100ps 10.5kg

Honda official announce which CX500TCC data only:

http://www.honda.co.jp/sou50/Hworld/Hall/2r/130.html

·
Registered
762 Posts
Max bhp: 82bhp @ 8000 RPM, Max Torque 79.4 Nm @ 5000 RPM

From "Force Fed 500 - Road & Track Test", Motor Cycling Magazine March 1982.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both CX500TC and CX650TC have different value depend on the destination: North America and Europe.

European models have larger value than North American.

CX500TC

North America 78ps 7.5kg

Europe 82ps 8.2kg

The only difference in parts ( I could find ) between the European and the North American bikes is the Fuel ECU box

North America - 38770MC7671

Europe - 38770MC7611

Both of them are replaced by 38770MC7672RM

So the easy way for Americans to get more power is to get hold of an European ECU ?
or not ?

What are the Nippo Denso numbers on these ECU's ?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I doubt there is any difference in power. It's the way different parts of the world calculate HP using using newtons vs. pounds of force.

It's like the ricer kids dreaming of importing that "J-SPEC" engine for their Honda Civic. Run the calculation on a US rice box using newtons and now the power is the same as that Jap spec engine. Denial sets in and they insist there still must be something different due to the incredibly high octane ratings used in Japan...explain MON, RON and PON to them and their Fast and Furious bubble is finally burst.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.