Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey making some new changes this winter for my 79' CX500 Custom. Right now as it sits the tank and one of the side plastics are primed grey. I plan on getting them painted Matte black at my college. I want some ideas for some parts I want to run, if you know of sources to order parts from that ship to Canada please share but here are some parts I want to replace by summer.

Handlebars. I've been looking at Z bars online and haven't seen anyone using them on a CX.
A fairing, I would like a 1/4 fairing that will fit with these bars.
2 LED turn signals, I already have the front ones. (I still have to figure out the electrical problems I've been having, but I can do that at school).
A speedometer, I'd like to remove the tachometer, I'll probably fabricate a mount for the single speedometer at school.
4 pegs and shift/rear brake arms.
Tyres. I've never replaces tires for a motorcycle but I'll start my research here. I want fat bobber style tyres, gonna keep the stock rims.
Also going to heat wrap the exhaust white, but I have plenty of that.
Bar end mirrors to fit the Z bars I have yet to decide on.
If time allows I'm also going to put on pods and remove the air box, not sure on the process because there is wiring in there, and I'm sure I'll have to re-jet or do something to the carbs.
Will probably remove the front fender, and chop the rear fender shorter/put the plate and taillight on the side of the bike.
And finally a full gasket kit. There are plenty on eBay but if you know of cheaper one please throw me a link or phone number.

I'm not asking for people to find this stuff for me, that's ridiculous but I am just wondering on what you guys think of the look I'm going for and if you have further information on where to find this stuff, brilliant!:)

In the past all of my parts have come from either eBay or Dime City Cycles. I love Dime City but I just don't have that many dimes. (It cost a lot to ship to Canada).

I'm going to add a few photos of my bike and some bikes that are inspiring my build, if you read all of this, thanks for your interest and I hope to hear from you. :)
The other bike in my photos in a CCW Heist.
007.JPG 008.JPG IMG_0059.JPG 006.JPG unknown-ind-bikes-kibbe-bike-.jpg moto-mucci-cx500-xl.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's another photo of where I keep my bikes in the winter. :D
153.JPG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far for the bike I have ordered some new LED signal lights off eBay. 2 carb rebuild kits, and bar end mirrors. I decided at first instead of ordering new bars, to use my drag bars but I can't seem to find some risers that work with the CX (because of the fuse box being in the way) that sell for less than $70. I decided to go with the bars off my other bike (2013 Heist). They should clear the tank nicely, but if anyone reads this and knows of some risers for cheaper, lemme know. More pics on thee way!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I decided at first instead of ordering new bars, to use my drag bars but I can't seem to find some risers that work with the CX (because of the fuse box being in the way) that sell for less than $70. I decided to go with the bars off my other bike (2013 Heist). They should clear the tank nicely, but if anyone reads this and knows of some risers for cheaper, lemme know.
I got some of the $70 risers for my 79 Custom and they're well worth the price. (I know that's not what you wanted to hear.);)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn. I figured that's what someone would say. I'm going to see if my school will machine some risers up for me. It's great being in a big trade school, they have everything. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. And yes it's painful. Every time I see the UPS guy I cringe because he's walking up with his mobile credit card machine. Lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So a few things have come in the mail so far, and I picked up a few other things from one of the few motorcycle shops here in Winnipeg.
Bar end mirrors - eBay
Drag bars - Dime City Cycles (bought last season)
Front brake entire assembly (in the brown box, scored it for around $45 off eBay)
Rear shoes - eBay
Carburetor kit (x2) - eBay
Oil filter - local shop
Rear tire (130-90-16) - local shop
And of course my trusty owners manual - Came with the bike

I'm still waiting on two LED turn signals, and the risers for the bars.
Still need to purchase some new plugs, oil, and probably fork seals but I'll fix them last.

I'm bringing both of my bikes to school on Monday, I'll have them there for six weeks so who knows what I'll get done. I'd really like to get some painting done on the side covers and tank, as well as generally clean up the bike and replace any frayed wires or cables. I'm open to suggestions or criticism on anything I have done or am yet to do as well.

SAM_1859.JPG SAM_1861.JPG Yes I did put the Jets jersey in there on purpose :p SAM_1862.JPG Not bad mirrors for $15 and free shipping, we will see when they're under vibration though. SAM_1864.JPG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A short update; I have the bike at school now. Getting it there was a bitch. Two of us were moving it and we dropped it while removing it from my house. It fell in the five foot snow pile in my front yard, so no damage done, I should've taken a picture but it was a stressful move with just the two of us. So far I have:
-Adjusted the valves, which were way out of spec, I thought my bike was running great before, I'm excited to see it when I get to fire it up again.
-Changed the handlebars.
-Cleaned the carbs, which were surprisingly bad considering again, how well my bike ran.
-Started changing the oil, but then I noticed my filter doesn't have a spring seat (WTF). I don't know how I didn't run into any problems, I think I went two season without that son of a bitch in there. I ordered a new seat and it's in the mail.
-Before the end of the week I will conquer the rear tire, a coolant flush, getting my cables all rerouted, attaching my bar end mirrors, an inspection of the drive shaft/changing the gear oil, some minor electrical issues.
-Next week I'll do some fine tuning and run the bike up on the dyno.
unfortunately I can't post any pics yet, as I keep forgetting to bring a camera to the school. But soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep up the good work man, looks like it's going to be a fun project. I had a really clean CX custom aside from my cafe bike, but I sold it to fund other things, I wanted to make it into a sweet little bobber. I really dig Norman Hyde M bars and you can always look for clip ons, every once in a while I will see them on craigslist. I scored mine for $50 off of ebay, but they fit the 40mm triumph forks I have on my bike. Just have to keep your eyes open for deals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finally got my bike home from school. Did a carb clean/carb replacement kit/synchronize. I rerouted the cables because they were binding, I added the bars from my other bike, as well as bar end mirrors. A new rear tire and front turn signals. I also got new shoes for the rear and front brakes (which I didn't have for so long). I still need to paint everything, but as you can tell from the dirtiness of it, I've been too busy riding. The snow is still not fully melted and there is sand EVERYWHERE. So I've been taking it easy trying to break in the new tire/mate the new pads with the old rotor. Here's my progress so far. It's a polished turd, but it's my polished turd.
SAM_1959.JPG SAM_1960.JPG SAM_1961.JPG SAM_1962.JPG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've been away for a while, but there are major things happening. After another summer of riding and actually doing a week long road trip on the CX, I've decided to tear it apart. The electrical has been giving me a lot of issues. Mainly the stator is shot. I pulled the main part of the harness out because I intend on going with the open frame and adding pods. So I'm going to have to figure out where to hid the harness, which I might outsource to a shop, I plan on going with a brat style seat and side mounted taillight/plate holder. I removed the H-box as well and have no intention of ever putting it back on. I want a beefy sounding exhaust, I'm not really sure where to start though, maybe you guys can help. (considering a two-into one deal). I intend on keeping the same bars I have as it's pretty comfortable, but I'm going to need to get new grips and throttle cables. Going to go with a single speedometer with no tachometer. Removing the front fender (until I get a ticket anyway), and I want to see what I can do about the weak headlight. I know a lot of my ideas are fairly vague right now but it's got to happen because as of right now I intend on planning a few months on the road on this bike. The major thing I want to do is make sure that my electrical system on the bike is up to date and runs smooth. Everything else should be a breeze.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts