Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So am about ready to pull off the fan, which I thankfully found was not seized and can get it to rotate. Also just wondering if the propeller shaft housing should be full of grease; from the zirc fitting forward to the boot. I guess its better than being dry, but it was packed full.

Also happy to find out I get all my frame sandblasting done for free!! Dropped the right names. This is getting deep...Looking at picking up a parts machine, 1980 GL500, for next to nothing.
Thanks for listening.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
The fan is attached to the end of the camshaft. It should not rotate unless the camshaft is turning.

Not sure what you mean by "propeller shaft housing". If you mean the area of the swingarm where the zerk fitting is (around the splines where the shaft meets the final drive) there should normally be a god amount of grease in there.
If you mean the whole right side of the swingarm and the end near the engine there shouldn't be. I can't see one in the drawings for the '78 but some models with shaft drive have a seal to keep the grease where it is needed. But a lot of people figure they should pump in as much as they can so it is forced past the seal.

The CX and GL don't have as many parts in common as you might hope. Since they have different ignition systems the wiring harness, ignition keyswitch and handlebar switch assemblies aren't compatible and the entire frame & suspension are different. You might be able to use the wheels and forks and most of the engine is the same but the propeller shaft is different and the final drive doesn't have the stud for the shock absorber.
BTW: They didn't make the GL500 for the 1980 model year but a lot of '81 models were produced in late '80

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,215 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "propeller shaft housing". If you mean the area of the swingarm where the zerk fitting is (around the splines where the shaft meets the final drive) there should normally be a god amount of grease in there.
Excess grease in the swing arm serves no purpose.
The zerk is on the final drive, providing lubrication to its input shaft bearing. Excess grease is squeezed through the bearing onto the prop shaft splines. Once it escapes the splines into the cavity, it does nothing useful.
Unlike most zerk fittings, don't pump grease expecting to see it come out of a joint somewhere. I've found swing arms full of grease. It's a waste of lubricant and a chore to clean up.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yes I guess I did a no brainer thinking of all the electric fans on modern bikes and this is a camshaft driven unit.. It turns nicely with the bolt on the end of the crank.
I called it the Propeller shaft since that is what the Honda FSM calls it, and it could be used to drive a boat (anchor?) LOL. It does appear to be as Randall speculated, some previous owner just kept pumping and pumping and pumping...The only thing it did was add a lot of drag in that housing. At least it was not dry and dusty like the steering stem.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
Propeller shaft I understand. It is the shaft that transmits the engine's power to the wheel to propel it forward.

I just wasn't sure what you meant by propeller shaft housing

BTW: I must be getting old because not only am I getting things confused between my 2 bikes but I'm remembering things differently from the way they are. I had a look and I have no idea why I was thinking the zerk was in the swingarm. But I know that some models do have a seal in the swingarm because I really need to replace the one in my GoldWing's swingarm one of these years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts