Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of Megaphone exhausts for my rebuild a few months ago (now beyond return warranty) and after having them fitted and run for a while it turns out they are far too loud. I have looked at them for a while and doubt that they could be disassembled to add a plate to the baffle. The exit is also much smaller than the entrance so fitting a perforated plate in the end would be difficult, not to mention welding it in place. Buying a new set of mufflers would be costly and would render these ones useless, which would be a shame as I do like the shape. I have taken a photo of the current baffle, which would appear to be somewhat useless as the exhaust gasses will take the path of least resistance anyhow...

Lens Iris Eye Camera lens Circle
I tweaked the contrast and brightness so the interior would be easier to see.

So I have come up with a plan to try and silence the bike some more, I have some upcoming events and have been told that the noise level is likely to prohibit me from participating, which again would be a real shame.

I have sourced baffles similar to these on eBay that I believe may work for my plan...

Auto part Tool accessory

This is how I plan on attaching them to my existing system, the first picture is my current setup and the one under that is the one with the baffle unit installed.

Technology Electronic device Tool accessory Rectangle

Do you think that this will work in making the bike quieter? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,281 Posts
You could always add some lollipop baffles. The usual way is to weld a washer to the head of a bolt like in the pic below but I have read that some people have had good results with eye bolts too. They can be mounted in the exhaust pipe before the muffler or in the outlet of the muffler and can be tuned by turning them so that more or less of the ring is in the path of the exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Have you considered using Harley mufflers ? They are cheap and cheerful and look ok as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

VC3 the exhausts are something like these ones:

I think newer models have a perforated baffle welded in them... just my luck lol ...

·
Registered
253 Posts
What Murray said. A lot of “dB killers” use that technique to break up the sound wave. I’ve also heard of using some wire mesh inside the tubing usually at the end where the opening is usually the largest.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I use a pair of those perforated tubes to soften the" bark" of my Dunstall replicas on my 82 Custom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts