Honda CX 500 Forum banner

If someone was building trunk extenders and you needed/wanted one which would you choose?

• Markland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Markland style without the wrap around guard.

• Anything that holds up the trunk and does a good job.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there are more than enough people out there that would like a trunk extender and the markland seems to be their envy. I know there are a few different types but I think the markland scaled down would be the easiest option.

I don't have a gl500, trunk, or even a trunk extender but I would like to make or try to make a few since people seem to want them. The Markland has a pretty good design but it has that wrap around guard on it. I think that should be removed in my version. I'm just focused on holding up a trunk to the bike.

But I need some help with the dimensions. This is a markland.

And this is what I would like to make.

Can someone who has a markland and some time fill in the blank measurements for me?

The top piece is the support from the trunk to the bike.

The middle piece is a side view.

And the bottom piece is a birds eye view.

1.2 3/8"

2.7/8" on top, 1 7/8" on bottom

3.3 1/4"

4.11"

5.9"

6.8"

7.If you can find a #7 I'll measure it.

8.7 1/8"

9.2"

10.10 3/4"

11.11 3/4"

12.9"

13.3/4"

14.10 3/4"

15.21"

16.6"

Also if possible could someone take a picture of the 5 sided piece that attaches to the seat while holding up a tape measure to it so I can place the holes exactly.

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

I have a home made extender as well as a markland,I can take a picture of the home job if you like

That would be appreciated. There are several homemade styles out there that I have pictures of but most involve having the trunk to shape the pieces. I'm basically doing this blind so I was looking for directions. This way I could also set up a jig to remake it.

G

·
I'm in the process of removing parts from my parts bike ...but it is a 650 any difference

would pics of this extender do any good...........and is this the OEM one....

I will try to get some measurements from the trunk when removed

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the process of removing parts from my parts bike ...but it is a 650 any difference

would pics of this extender do any good...........and is this the OEM one....

I will try to get some measurements from the trunk when removed

I guess pictures of all extenders wouldn't hurt. Now i'm curious what you got under there since I have never seen that type before.

G

·
I just assumed (which is not a good thing to do)that what I had here was the OEM, on my soon to be rider I have the Markland like in your first post

Also hate to say but I will not be removing my Markland for a while so I can't get you any measurements ,as I mentioned earlier

·
Registered
670 Posts
Seems like there are more than enough people out there that would like a trunk extender and the markland seems to be their envy. I know there are a few different types but I think the markland scaled down would be the easiest option.

I don't have a gl500, trunk, or even a trunk extender but I would like to make or try to make a few since people seem to want them. The Markland has a pretty good design but it has that wrap around guard on it. I think that should be removed in my version. I'm just focused on holding up a trunk to the bike.

But I need some help with the dimensions. This is a markland.

And this is what I would like to make.

Can someone who has a markland and some time fill in the blank measurements for me?

The top piece is the support from the trunk to the bike.

The middle piece is a side view.

And the bottom piece is a birds eye view.

1.2 3/8"

2.7/8" on top, 1 7/8" on bottom

3.3 1/4"

4.11"

5.9"

6.8"

7.If you can find a #7 I'll measure it.

8.7 1/8"

9.2"

10.10 3/4"

11.11 3/4"

12.9"

13.3/4"

14.10 3/4"

15.21"

16.6"

I also think it's important to mention that the front 5 sided brackets lean in slightly

Also if possible could someone take a picture of the 5 sided piece that attaches to the seat while holding up a tape measure to it so I can place the holes exactly.

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for those numbers. Are you sure 5 and 6 aren't confused with the wrap around guard? And not the part that the wrap around guard is welded on. The picture I have uploaded suggest it might be 8 and 9 inches.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the GL not come with a factory type extender or was it passenger seat or no passenger and a top box.

I thought that there was three styles coming from the factory,driver/trunk,,,,,,driver/passenger/cowl/grab bar,,,,,,,,driver/low box

as shown in this local ad.... http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=206197639

and another one with the same style http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=263402737

I believe that the options were passenger seat, small trunk or large trunk. That's why companies like Markland made the trunk extenders. The extenders that wern't markland were usually homemade in some way or another.

G

·
Ok ...........thanks for clearing that up Blindstitch,

So I guess that there is the Markland,at the top of this post and on my 83 Red 650,

and an unknown maker like the one on my 83 gray parts bike,and the other two for sale GL's

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant to what you mean (in the original post) or not, but just a reminder of what Larry did for Jeremy/Aurora. An option for an extra tank is always in my mind. LINK

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if this is relevant to what you mean (in the original post) or not, but just a reminder of what Larry did for Jeremy/Aurora. An option for an extra tank is always in my mind. LINK

Well it isn't exactly relevant to the post but I do like the idea. Larry is a genius. A holder for a reserve MSR bottle would be nice. Not sure exactly how much weight it could hold as I haven't tested how much weight the average extender could take.

Luggage racks seem to be a bit more heavy duty but as Jeremy pointed out he broke that gas rack right off the bike in his last outing. Solid steel round bar instead of tubes for the extending arms would probably be needed.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts