Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I tried to start my 1981 CX500 and the fuse block next to the battery blew. I found a shorted wire to the head light and repaired it. Now can I just put a regular in line fuse in place of the fusable link that was there?

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Hi Ken

Yes, I changed to using blade fuses ages ago

they're cheap, easy to find at any gas station etc and spares can be kept in your pocket

with out getting danaged.

Some folk use inline cartridge fuse holders, the choice is yours.

The only caveat, whatever method you choose is to

ensure you have good sound connections to avoid reliability issues

·
Registered
639 Posts
I second it. Even if you didn't blow the main fuse, it ought to be changed anyway as that exposed fuse element is way brittle after sitting out for 30 years. A $4.00 USD blade type fuse is what I recommend and is what I have done to all four CX/GL's that I've owned. Any auto parts store will have this fuse holder.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I went with glass but only because I had glass on the bike already. And then I got a short on a ride and she blew. Guess what the gas station only had glass. I may have overkilled it because I knew I had glass fuses somewhere else. And then I ended up finding about 20 fuses so there are at least 10 in a protected case on the bike. But blade fuses are nice. I might change the two under the fuse cover over to blade to but that's at a later date.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts