Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around the forums but don't see a lot of discussion about the Magura hydraulic clutch. Is anyone using it? I'm looking at part number 2100020 (currently $269 at Partzilla). I'm thinking the decreased clutch lever pull force would be really nice for stop and go city riding/commuting.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
The CX already has quite a light clutch. Without heavy duty springs fitted it can be pulled with one finger.

To me there seems no point in a hydraulic conversion unless you just want to be different - and there's nothing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CX already has quite a light clutch. Without heavy duty springs fitted it can be pulled with one finger.

To me there seems no point in a hydraulic conversion unless you just want to be different - and there's nothing wrong with that either.
Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I'll wait to decide until after I've replaced the springs. The reason I even came across the hydraulic unit was I was looking into clutch parts, because I've noticed some slipping in high RPMs lately despite plenty of free play in the cable. The bike has just over 6,000 miles so I can't imagine the plates are bad, but the springs are most likely original. I need a new clutch cover seal (a little seepage) so it's time for an oil change and I might as well pop new springs in.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,308 Posts
With that low of mileage it could be the oil type that is causing slippage. Synthetic or friction reducing oils are not recommended. I've been using Rotella 15-40 regular oil since I got the bike. Look up the oil specs in past threads,,, it's been a topic forever on this forum. I'm not exactly sure what is required to clean the clutch plates without replacing them as I've had no such problem.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The original clutch springs are known to be on the weak side if riding a little on the aggressive side. I have the upgraded ebc springs in my gl500 and still have no problem making the clutch slip when accelerating as fast as the poor bike can go. The clutch pull is still as easy as can be and would never consider converting to hydraulic. Even with the minor performance inadequacies these bikes have, they are pure joy to ride and stone cold reliable on top of that.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Agree with the comments above although strictly speaking some synth oils will be OK (e.g. MA/MA2 rated)....when you say the cable "has plenty of free play"..is it as per the manual? 10 to 20mm at the lever end (i.e. the "end of the lever" to grip)
Are you sure the cable's well lubed? Even with low miles it could be dry...
Sometimes it pays to remove the cable, lube it and readjust to specs....

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
I ran Rotella full-synth in both bikes last season, and I've been very happy with it. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Fwiw......Without this becoming an oil thread...syth should be ok if its a motorcycle oil thats MA/MA2...or a car oil thats non friction modified and has a good antiwear package..be it zinc or boron....
Im still on the fence with deisel oils....they arent designed for 10000rpm engines.....
I run synth in the Cx...but still mineral in my inline 4....may change later.....

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Some aftermarket clutch springs are much stiffer than OEM. When I came upon that issue I was advised (by Murray I think) to only use two new springs, it worked great! Put the new springs opposite each other of course. And still have a pair left over for another bike.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With that low of mileage it could be the oil type that is causing slippage. Synthetic or friction reducing oils are not recommended. I've been using Rotella 15-40 regular oil since I got the bike. Look up the oil specs in past threads,,, it's been a topic forever on this forum. I'm not exactly sure what is required to clean the clutch plates without replacing them as I've had no such problem.
The previous owner gave me a partial quart of the oil he used, “Pro Honda GN4 10W-40 SJ”. He had the bike for 8 months as a commuter, and bought it some older fella who had it in a shed for decades. I’ll wager the kid I got it from performed its only oil change since the factory.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I use solely , cheap Fleet diesel oil 15-40 . Bought in bulk when its on sale , a Murrays Carbs spin-on filter - and change the oil at about 3000 - 3500 KMs . Oil is cheap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts