Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Maggie, the Plastic Maggot

7K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Sture 
#1 ·
In 1977/78 when the CX500 was announced the market was full of conservative, similar-looking, motorcycles. UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) was the term of the day. Not so in 2011, but thirty years ago many disliked the looks and design of the CX, and gave the model not-so-nice nicknames. Some spring to mind:

* Plastic maggot - UK

* Güllepumpe (fertilizer pump) - Germany and Austria

* Plastic pig - Sweden and Norway

How was it called in the US, and in other countries?

#3 ·
I've never been a fan of the CX for its looks

and the more they get modded or ratted the better they look IMO

I always thought Plastic Maggot was a rather pathetic insult by some

stuck up hack on an off day.

Gullepumpe is more amusing.

Marmite refers to the reaction you get when its mentioned

Like the Product Marmite ( Vegemite in OZ)

people tend to love it or hate it.

#6 ·
Like the Product Marmite ( Vegemite in OZ)
How dare you? Its infinitely better than that swill marmite [a jar of which I possess] I have carried out my own biased tests and Vegemite is the far superior product.

In the same way that OUR woman prime minister is even uglier than the one YOU had in the '80s.

#8 ·
What ??

How dare I?

How dare you sir !!!

I have tried both products on my morning toast and found

Marmite the far superior product

Just opening the vegemite jar filled the room with noxious vapours

peeled the wallpaper off the wall and began corroding the silverware.

Thus warned I got the butler to taste it first and he fell writhing

to the floor in a fit with his tongue turning black

Oh how we laughed !

Marmite is my condiment of choice and Vegemite is put to good use for paint stripping

#9 ·
As erudite as your answer is it still contains many errors of fact. I'm sure marmite is scraped off of truck stop bogs.

It has the odor and the flavour. If marmite made a sound it would be able to offend all 5 human senses.

They maketed it as "the putrescent product" in the 1950s I beleive.

Actually, I prefer Vegemite to marmite but I'll eat either. But who markets that promite $h!+?

Now, heathen I retire to bed to pontificate and pout petulantly, and to reflect on Australian superiority, basking in the warm glow of living in God's own land, - Vegemite country.

Imperial barbarian.

#11 ·
We don't get either over here, also I believe the name "plastic maggot" only applied to the 1978 models,

probably why they did away with that oddball mini-fairing around the gauges and headlight the next year.

#18 ·
#20 ·
I named her after my wife, she is high riding, and I love her, I just hope my little girl will be the same.. haha sweet jessica..

#23 ·
#28 ·
I just call it Maggot. A friend in the UK got his first and 'splained to me the Maggot moniker.

My wife has several names for it. None that I'll print here.

#30 ·
I call the Turbo "Duster" and you do not want to hear what I call the "78 with the noisy motor.

The bike in my avatar is called "Marshall's Bike".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.