Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to replace the fork seals and wanted a stable support for the bike while it was apart. I initially placed jack stands on either side but they were maxed out to keep it level and it still wobbled more than I care for.

I happened to have a track bar I’d recently replaced on my van, so I cut it in half, removed the bushings and cut half the ends off, then used some scrap lumber to make this stand. It’s MUCH more stable than it was on the jack stands.

I’m sure others have made their own stands as well but figured I’d share what I came up with, though I’m not sure why the second photo rotated like that.

EE1DCF31-3DCD-4D24-A190-3D2ADF76876D.jpeg

3C4C00A9-C2B2-4048-BEBB-F103B744EE4B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Maybe.....there is of course Mr Pythons Gumby.....no offence to the OP...I'm only educating.....

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha - good stuff. :ROFLMAO:

The nickname was given to me in junior high. I was on the basketball team but not very coordinated and was constantly tripping over my own feet as well as the other players, but was always able to walk away unscathed.

One of the other players remarked in passing “You’re like Gumby or something” and it stuck from that day on. I’m not convinced any of my classmates actually knew my real name by the time we graduated.:)

I’ve been out of school for 20 years now but I’m happy to use it online.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, keep posting anything interesting you are doing.
In that case, be on the lookout for my dissertation on how the mating cycle of dung beetles has affected the rotation rate of the common handheld compass. It’s a real page turner.🤓

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Princess Auto had milk crates on sale for about $10 CAD a couple of months ago.....
I have a bunch of them in the shop; They are just the right size for sliding under a sidecar's body to support it if I have to detach it from the bike but I feel the bike itself would probably be too much weight.

I also have piles of scrap wood that I keep for odd projects but I usually just pile blocks under the end of the bike I need to support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts