Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the process of doing a triple bypass on my '80 CX500C, I found that the water pump mechanical seal hole was a few thousandths of an inch too small for the currently available seal, so (per forum advice) I took the rear casing in to a machine shop and showed them exactly what I needed- the bore hole bored out to the weep hole from the water pump side.

I just went to the shop to pick it up and found that the machining had been done by a different guy than the one I had talked to, and that he had reamed out the inside, not the outside part, and helpfully press-fit the $45 mechanical seal I provided for size reference. (if the other seal is anything to go by, the seal will get ruined when I have to pull it.)

How screwed am I?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Covers are pretty available. Look on ebay. where you at?
just saw 2 for 20 and another at 25 obo
not too screwed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
New England. I've already been looking at the options on eBay. Is my current case no good now? I don't want to ruin my relationship with the shop, but if I can't use the current cover I'm going to have to ask them to buy a new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the proper seal with some sealant on the edge do? I'm not too certain about finding a non-standard rubber seal with the exact right dimensions online.

·
Registered
24,319 Posts
i would have themm buy a new cover and a new seal and start all over again

there is no procedure for sleeving the rear case and aluminum grow much more that the thin steel sleeve would so it may come loose hot or???who knows

they cant sleeve it for what you can buy one

and if the pressed the new mech seal in they wont get it out as easy

sorry but make them do it right !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to buy a seal, are all rear cases created equal, or do they differ between years apart from the seal size?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The seal size changed somewhere in the 81-82 range. '81 could be small or large, '82 is large. All seals available are large. You may luck out and get a rear cover that is correctly sized for the new seal.

·
Super Moderator
21,616 Posts
I had a motor delivered to me in pieces a number of years back that this had happened to. The seal will be a light sliding fit, - not a press in one. I stuck the oilseal in with aviation permatex. The bike is still in use and has done a number of rallies in that time and covered a fair few miles.

But I would get the machine shop to cover their own mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts